Working in Australia - Claiming tax credits

G

GinaG82

I finished work in Ireland 27th April 2007 and left Ireland for a year on 12th May 2007.

I commenced working in Australia 9th July 2007 and plan to continue working until Christmas this year.

Can anyone tell me whether I am entitled to my a tax refund from Ireland for the time I will not be working there (May to December) in this tax year?

It was unclear from my communications with the Revenue Office as I was advised firstly that I would be entitled to all tax back, but subsequently was told I would not due to foreign earnings being taken into account.

Thanks for your help.

GinaG82

You will be considered to be resident in Ireland and taxable on your worldwide employment income unless you leave Ireland for a full tax year.

Do you intent to return to Ireland? When?

Hi Domo,

Thanks for your help. Currenty I am scheduled to return to Ireland 10th May 2008 so I will be classed as resident then, yes?

GinaG

Tes - you will be taxable in Ireland on your Australian income (if any), but will receive a credit for any Australian tax paid in 2007.

If you do not work in Australia in 2008, you will be entitled to your full tax credits and lower rate bands for the year in Ireland against your Irish income. So, if you commence work in Ireland in May, you should get all your tax credits from January 2008, and therefore pay less tax in May and until you "catch up" and start to pay tax again.

Back