working from home

icantbelieve

At the moment I have a good job providing IT support to a financial services company. However my wife has a physical disability that has worsened and for which there does not appear to be a solution. I am in some regards fortunate in that I can and am allowed to work from home as my effectiveness is not impeded and if the truth be known I work longer hours at home. However I fear will soon be made redundant (or will have to look for redundancy) as the system I support is being phased out and not replaced. I may be able to find another role within the company for which they're happy for me to work from home but I'm not hopeful.
All of this means I'll have to try and find something I can do from home, does anyone know of any companies/sectors that allow their employees to do this as for all the talk on radio shows about the increase in teleworkers I've yet to meet anyone doing so that isn't self-employed. Are there specific recruitment companies or web pages that those who telework use to find employment. Do social services help with placement as otherwise I'll be drawing the carers allowance or the dole which would be a waste of someone with my education, skills and experience (not blowing my own horn, if there was something I could be doing I'd prefer to do it rather than just receive a handout).
-icantbelieveit

I work for IBM from home. They pro-actively allow people to work from home with certain skills. I would say thought that at least initially most companies would require that you work from an office to assess your performance.

Good Luck.

Back