Working From Home - Household Utility Bills?

DesignLocker

Hello All,

First time poster here.

I am currently working from home running a website design business (sole trader). Can I pay for the following through my business account;

1. Home Heating Oil
2. Electricity
3. Bin Charges

I really have no idea and have just been in touch with an accountant but am not meeting hom for two more weeks and would really like to know as soon as possible.

This [broken link removed] from revenue should tell you all you need to know. There's more advice here and [broken link removed].

This [broken link removed] from revenue should tell you all you need to know.

That link is totally irrelevant - it applies to employees who occasionally work from home for their employers- the OP is asking about business deductions for a sole trader.

OP, this link is more relevant ([broken link removed]).

The simple answer is that as a sole trader, you can pay whatever bills you want out of your business bank account; all it is at the end of the day is a bank account and it's all your own money.

I presume what you actually mean is can you pay these bills and claim them as an expense - the answer to that is in the link I gave you.

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

mandelbrot, that is exactly what I was looking for. If I understand correctly from the link, I can pay for the bills etc through my business account but only assign a reasonable portion of the bills for tax purposes.

My accountant usually just asks how much I pay roughly a month, and he takes a percentage of it as business use at tax time. I pay out my personal account though.

Back