Working Family Payment - How many hours?

sdlimk

Hello All, I am a single parent & currently working 5 days but take parental leave of two half days per week. My daughter currently attends a childminder but CM has been sick a couple of times and I've had to take annual leave to look after my daughter and basically I'm using it all up so early that I'm not going to be able to manage school holidays etc for the rest of the year. My employer is obviously not too happy about the last minute booking of holidays too. I have her name down on waiting lists for the two creches in our area but it's not looking likely for September.

We have the option to do work-sharing in my job. I can apply to work mornings only and won't require any childcare. I will be taking a 50% pay cut so I'm hoping to be able to apply for WFP and with the savings in childcare it will hopefully be a manageable income. So my concern is around the working hours requirement. My contract states that I work 43 hours 15 mins gross and 37 hours net per week. If I work 50% of this it will be 43 hrs 15 mins per fortnight gross, but only 37 net. Does anyone know which figure will be used in calculating my entitlement?

You have to have worked at least 3 weeks in the new arrangement to be eligible to apply. However, I'm guessing that there's some sort of overtime agreement in place given you have net & gross hours? It's calculated on the preceding 4 weeks when they assess. It's not based on your contract, it's based on your worked hours. They assess using your payslips if your P60 reflects the higher salary.

Do you get paid for 43 hours or 37? You could show them the form and ask how they would fill it out if you were work-sharing. Otherwise maybe ask the employer to guarantee you 38 hours net per fortnight therefore taking the guesswork out of it. Also, if you've only one child you'll only get 60% of the difference between your weekly net wage and €521, which might not amount to a whole lot. If you haven't looked at it already read the WFP info on the Citizens Information website.

Thanks for the replies.

I already have WFP on my current work pattern this will be coming about up for review a week or two before my work pattern will be changing, If I go ahead with the change. If I reduce further I will qualify on the income requirement but may not qualify on the hours which is my concern.

We don't get paid an hourly rate, its a weekly rate. The gross hours is hours including breaks, net is after after breaks are deducted. So I'm not really sure what is considered hours worked by WFP section.

I'm not really sure what is considered hours worked by WFP section.
It's just whatever is on the application form. Your employer may be happy to put 21.5 hours weekly (half 43) and then divide your weekly rate by 21.5 to give hourly rate. Does you payslip indicated hours worked? If not it shouldn't cause you a problem.

Back