Working Abroad - Can he claim back tax?

N

Nelly26

My finace has been sent to work in the US for 6months by his Irish employer which will mean he was only in Ireland for 180days this year but will be in Ireland for the full year next year. (Im not sure if this makes him resident or non resident?)
His Irish employer is still paying his salary here.

Can someone tell me if he can claim the tax back that he paid during the period he worked in the US?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
yes I think he should be able to claim tax back as long as he his employer based in Ireland paid him salary and this way he would have paid his PRSI contributions plus tax to the revenue which is claimable. Best thing is to ring revenue office and ask them but it seems quite straight forward he can claim his tax back in Ireland.

Hold on. Let's think about this logically (and forget the fact that tax related stuff can be confusing!)

It sounds like you're saying he's Irish resident in the year in question, is normally Irish resident (i.e. was here for the last 3+ years), and I'll presume he is in fact Irish (and thus Irish domiciled).

If he's Irish resident, he's liable to pay tax on all of his income in Ireland, just like every other "normal" Irish person who has an Irish job. Why would you think he should be able to pay no tax, just because he was sent to work in a different country for a few months?

There's no free lunch; if he's not liable to pay tax on the income in Ireland he'd be liable on it in the US, but based on what you've said he's rightly being taxed here on it.

Back