Working 14 days in row is this legal?

Janelle77

My good friend works mon-fri but for next 2 weeks is to come in on Sat+Sun(no choice given)aren't you supposed to get a certain amount of rest in a working week. The job says its at they're discretion but surely that's not the case seems very harsh to me. Is there anybody the workers could contact to speak to the employers on they're behalf?Thanks

I don't know whether it is legal but in a previous position I was expected to work half days on a Saturday as well as regular Mon-Fri. It's not uncommon for people in the construction trade.
I'm aware of a restriction on working hours if you are a driver but not otherwise.

Give the Employment Rights Unit with the Dept of Enterprise Trade a call
Phone: 01 6313131 LoCall: 1890 201 615

My good friend works mon-fri but for next 2 weeks is to come in on Sat+Sun(no choice given)aren't you supposed to get a certain amount of rest in a working week. The job says its at they're discretion but surely that's not the case seems very harsh to me. Is there anybody the workers could contact to speak to the employers on they're behalf?Thanks

The rules can be seen here:-

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/c...ours_breaks_sundays/?searchterm=working hours

As you can see there is a lot of flexibility which is reasonable as the demands of a business may occasionally require it. You'll also see that there may a reference to working hours written into the contract.

It seems to me though that regardless of the rules an employer should at the very least discuss the need for the extra hours with the employees which should help to avoid the kind of problem and concern that you mention. Does your friend feel able to approach the employer directly to discuss it?

I have come across this before in a place of work and it can be done as a once off or irregular means of meeting a business need.(especially if allowed for in the contract of employment). The employee should still however be able to avail of regular rest breaks during the day and not beworking excessively long hours each day.

The employer themselves should not wish to make a habit of this, especially as the Working Time legislation has its grounding in Health and Safety welfare. An employee who is working long hours is also more at risk of occupational injury or stress.

It is legal, if he gets the 2 days + 11 hours off afterwards. If he doesn't get this, it's illegal.

Back