Workers' Rights re Method of Salary Payment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purple said:
Because the only constant in life is change. Some of it is good, some of it is bad but most of it makes little difference.

Very profound Purple. You are happy in your own little world and I am in mine until my cage is rattled.

glenwalsh said:
Very profound Purple. You are happy in your own little world and I am in mine until my cage is rattled.
My world is constantly changing; my cage is constantly being rattled. My wages have been paid into my account for the last 6 years. I just accepted it as one of those little things.

glenwalsh said:
Art

Simply because I am of the old school and for 30 odd yrs I have been paid by cheque and every Thursday evening I hand my cheque over to my better half.

This has worked well for 30 yrs so if its not broken why fix it?

Well that clears up that so. Some of the workers in a company I worked in a number years ago kicked up when the company insisted on EFT because they did not want their better halves seeing what went into their bank accounts. Prior to the introduction of EFT they generally cashed their cheques in the pub and, unlike you, only gave a certain amount of cash to their wives telling them that this was what they earned.

Hi GW,

You may have misunderstood. You have a right to be paid in the mode set out in your contract of employment. You do not neccessarily have an automatic right to be paid by cheque.

If as part of the collective bargaining process representatives have agreed to eft payments Im afraid you are bound by the agreement even if you are not a member of a union.

Some posters are assuming that you are not in the private sector. Is this assumption correct?

There are many reasons why people might not like eft for instance they may not have, want or need a bank account. As far as I know you cant do eft to credit unions (directly). Employees may be from the UK or further afield and have no bank accounts in this juristiction. Finally banks have been known to make mistakes leading to delays in people getting their money. All these issues can be mitigated if the employer engages with employees and "sells" the benefits of eft.

If I were your employer I would also be trying to move all employees to a monthly payroll for efficiency purposes. I would of course negotiate this.

2.—(1) Wages may be paid by and only by one or more of the following modes:

• ( a ) a cheque, draft or other bill of exchange within the meaning of the Bills of Exchange Act, 1882,

• ( b ) a document issued by a person who maintains an account with the Central Bank of Ireland or a holder of a. licence under [broken link removed] of the [broken link removed], which, though not such a bill of exchange as aforesaid, is intended to enable a person to obtain payment from that bank or that holder of the amount specified in the document,

• ( c ) a draft payable on demand drawn by a holder of such a licence as aforesaid upon himself, whether payable at the head office or some other office of the bank to which the licence relates,

• ( d ) a postal, money or paying order, or a warrant, or any other like document, issued by or drawn on An Post or a document issued by an officer of a Minister of the Government that is intended to enable a person to obtain payment from that Minister of the Government of the sum specified in the document,

• ( e ) a document issued by a person who maintains an account with a trustee savings bank within the meaning of the [broken link removed], that is intended to enable a person to obtain payment from the bank of the sum specified in the document,

• ( f ) a credit transfer or another mode of payment whereby an amount is credited to an account specified by the employee concerned,

• ( g ) cash,

• ( h ) any other mode of payment standing specified for the time being by regulations made by the Minister after consultation with the Minister for Finance.

ajapale said:
Hi GW,

You may have misunderstood. You have a right to be paid in the mode set out in your contract of employment. You do not neccessarily have an automatic right to be paid by cheque.

If as part of the collective bargaining process representatives have agreed to eft payments Im afraid you are bound by the agreement even if you are not a member of a union.

[/list]

Again thanks aj

Management had about 10 issues that were causing problems for them and rather than negotiate with the union they succeded in getting them included as part of the upcoming SP Agreement whereby if we do not accept all their demands we will be cited as being non compliant and any pay rises under the next SP will be withheld.

I just felt that, under the Payment of Wages Act 1991 which states "The modes of payment prescribed in the act include cheque, credit transfer, cash----" etc., if I am being paid by a legal method and have been for in excess of 30yrs how can management without consulting me put me on another payment method.

Not alone that but now they need never again negotiate locally with the union just head off to the wage agreement talks with their shopping basket full.

I am not in the Private Sector

I'd imagine SP=Sustaining Progress

(Could progress mean moving to electronic banking :D )

While I do not agree that this issue is worth getting worked up about as an employer I think that it is bad form and bad management to implement change without consultation, i.e. explaining the reason for the change.

i was in bad form before i read this but now i am having a laugh. thanks you guys !!!!
Nice to know that for every little trivial matter in life we have to think about getting a union involved, soon companies will leave ireland as we seem to be getting mighty pissy over little things.
difference in getting a cheque and getting in your a/c ? all i can say is, as least i have my health and am not worried about how i get paid...

"This has worked well for 30 yrs so if its not broken why fix it?"

I am astonished that such an argument could be made (presumably) with a straight face. The Original Poster has internet access, and was able to post on this forum at various times today during normal working hours. If this internet access is at his place of employment, how would he feel if his employer barred all non-work usage? And perhaps banned all personal mobile phones in the workplace?

"Ye've managed without this stuff for 30 years lads, ye can't bring it into this workplace unless your union negotiates special permission for it, in return for increased productivity. "

Can you see, glenwalsh, how utterly preposterous, how deeply offensive it would be if your employer issued edicts such as this? There is a basic level of moving with the times which is naturally concomitant with life in the 21st century. It's not a "concession"; It's not a "change in work practice"; It's just the normal march of technological progress. Paying money electronically is in this category.

glenwalsh,

You say you have a right to be paid by cheque, and if so good luck to you. But I don't see how you have a right to be paid by cheque AND also claim the SP payment which is contingent on, among other things, being paid by ETF.

It sounds like you want the SP and to give nothing in return!

Simply because I am of the old school and for 30 odd yrs I have been paid by cheque and every Thursday evening I hand my cheque over to my better half.
What does your better half think of this? It must be nice to have someone to queue for you in the bank.

If forced to accept EFT, perhaps you could maintain your traditional custom and practice by giving your better half your bank lodgement book every Thursday? I presume you don't have an ATM card?

this is just another reason why the public sector needs to be seriously reformed, whinging over getting paid quicker and directly into your account, have you nothing better to worry about??

And unions wonder why the younger workers aren't interested in being represented...
Like a previous poster this gave me a good belly laugh...
After going down the redundancy route twice in the past 10 year while my job was moved to another cheaper country this post is a joke.
Wake up and smell the 21st century, this is the sort of stagnant thinking that was the 1970s and 1980s, can we expect a picket line while you bring the country to its knees objecting to catching up with the rest of the working population?
Just build a bridge, and get over it!

I think everyone's had their say at this stage and the substantive issue re. rights etc. has been addressed by ajapale and others.

Most of the rest of what has been said is better reserved for Letting Off Steam.

Thread locked by CCOVICH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back