Workers' Rights re Method of Salary Payment

Status
Not open for further replies.

glenwalsh

I have always been paid my salary by cheque.

Now my employer is forcing me to accept payment electronically.

What are my rights?

Why is it a big deal for you?
The money will be in your account sooner.

Your employer should be able to get the bank to offer preferential banking from his or her bank to all employees with accounts at the same bank. Bank of Ireland give us a 0.25% discount on mortgages, discounts on loans and discounts on insurance products because we are all paid electronically. The bigger the company the more chance of the preferential offers.

As far as I know the mode of payment (cash, cheque, eft etc) of wages are part of the terms and conditions of your employment contract.

The terms and conditions of your employment cannot be unilateraly changed by your employer. Employers wanting to introduce eft usually negotiate with trade unions and/or individuals regarding the change.

Purple, believe it or not there are employees (and pensioners) who do not have bank accounts and are reluctant to set one up.

Some employers do a poor job in explaining to employees the advantages of eft payments.

aj

Thanks aj

ajapale said:
As far as I know the mode of payment (cash, cheque, eft etc) of wages are part of the terms and conditions of your employment contract.

The terms and conditions of your employment cannot be unilateraly changed by your employer. Employers wanting to introduce eft usually negotiate with trade unions and/or individuals regarding the change.

aj

That may be true but now I know my employer has managed to get this clause in as part of the SP2 agreement for our sector with the result that if we do not go on Paypath we will be deemed as non compliant and not receive any of the pay rises in the new SP agreement. To me this is a form of Bullying and it only affects 4 persons out of a large number and the Unions allowed this.

How can this be legal when under the 1991 Payment of Wages act that I have a right to be paid by cheque?

Why do I and the other 3 people have to give extra concessions to Management to get the same pay rise as everyone else?

How do the Unions allow management to go to these talks with a shopping basket of concessions they want from their workers and allow them to make this basket a part of the SP Agreement even though it affects only a very small sector?

I think the demise of the Unions has begun.

I don't understand what the problem is - electronic transfer is simpler, cheaper and quicker for the employee. Why do you want to be paid by cheque?

The company presumably wants to simplify their administration, ahve offered a (probably a bit heayvy handed) incentive, but really in practice this does not seem to disadvantage the workers. If you think that being asked to be paid electronically is bullying, then I wonder if you have any experience of what bullying is.

Diziet,

I have a right to be paid by cheque and I do count it as being heavy handed management taking that right from me without consultation.

It is not Paypath as such that is the problem it is the principle of it.

Management now needn't negotiate with union members any longer they can just have all their issues included in SP Agreements without any barganing and consultation.

Why do I and the other 3 people have to give extra concessions to Management to get the same pay rise as everyone else?

Jebus, 'extra concessions to Management'.

Where are you, British Leyland circa 1978?

The demise of the unions, which you lament, would only be hastened by obstinately refusing to allow such a change in payment methods.

Lucky for you we have an economy where we can get our knickers in a twist over such trivial 'principles'.

Sherman.

Do you feel Management have the right to everything they want without negotiations ?

Do you want workers to give up all their rights?

Why bother having unions then?

You wouldn't happen to be one of the Irish Rail workers resisting electronic payment because they'd lose out on the extra hour they get off to cash or lodge their cheques, would you? :p

You don't happen to drive a train do you!?!?! TBH I can't see the problem with Mgmnt paying you via eft. It's not as though they are proposing to pay you less! As for the comment about Mgmnt getting everything they want - Mgmnt are there for a reason - to manage the company. They are deemed to have necessary qualifications to make informed decisions and so more often than not their decision is the best for everyone concerned - company and staff. TBH I also think some workers have too many rights and have forgotten why Trade Unions were firstly established - to protect ee's who were working in unsafe environments, long hours, poor pay, etc, etc - not people who wanted to be paid by cheque rather than eft. If this is the most terrible thing that mgmnt have done to you - you really don't have things too bad.

Dinky said:
You wouldn't happen to be one of the Irish Rail workers resisting electronic payment because they'd lose out on the extra hour they get off to cash or lodge their cheques, would you? :p

Crossed post with Dinky - LMAO :D

Hi glenwalsh, what other concessions have management forced upon you and in what have they damaged you?
Why is it a problem if your employer introduces something that saves the company money with minimal impact on you? If you are the private sector your job has just been made a little more secure by the good management of your companies overheads.

glenwalsh said:
Diziet,

I have a right to be paid by cheque and I do count it as being heavy handed management taking that right from me without consultation.

Management now needn't negotiate with union members any longer they can just have all their issues included in SP Agreements without any barganing and consultation.

Negotiate what?
[management] we would like to pay you electronically - it is cheaper for us and quicker for you to get the money in your account.
[union] We want to be paid by cheque
[management] Why?
[union] Ermm...

What is the principle at stake here? Are you paid less, have they made your life more inconvenient? Would you be consulted if they changed to a different firm of accountants? No, because it makes no difference to you.

On the other hand, if you are out to make trouble, then go ahead, but don't expect to be taken seriously. There are real employee relation problems out there, but on a scale of 1-10 I reckon this one is around 0.25.

sounds like that crowd in waterford who wanted €12k in relocation money when their jobs moved 2 miles.... and you will be suprised when you jobs move to india....

Diziet said:
What is the principle at stake here?

As I said the principle is I have a right to be paid by cheque.

This isn't the only issue. Management got a list of 10 items in as part of the SP Agreement without consulting the Union. Normally issues would be discussed not forced upon people.

To the others no I am not a train driver.

Anyway I find it interesting that the only person to answer my simple original question was Ajapale everyone else answers a question with a question.

it only affects 4 persons out of a large number and the Unions allowed this.

Okay then, in an effort to help you resolve your query, why don't you take it up with your union? After all, you say yourself the unions agreed to this. I presume the unions are there to represent the workers' interests, and in their professional industrial relations experience have decided that agreeing to this payment method was in the best interests of their members.

Your problem is with your union, not your employer. You don't say how many people agreed to this move, but I would wager that your 4 brave holdouts are a very small minority, otherwise you would have changed your union's policy on this. Live with it or go somewhere where you know you'll be paid by cheque.

glenwalsh said:
As I said the principle is I have a right to be paid by cheque.
That's not a principle, it's a clerical function.

glenwalsh said:
This isn't the only issue. Management got a list of 10 items in as part of the SP Agreement without consulting the Union. Normally issues would be discussed not forced upon people.
I hope the other issues have more substance than this one.

glenwalsh said:
Anyway I find it interesting that the only person to answer my simple original question was Ajapale everyone else answers a question with a question.
Maybe everyone else thought that it was a ridiculous thing to be getting hot under the collar about?

Glenwalsh,

Given that ajpale has answered your question can you answer the question put to you by all of the other posters.

Here we go again, one last time:

Why do you want to be paid by cheque?

Art said:
Glenwalsh,

Given that ajpale has answered your question can you answer the question put to you by all of the other posters.

Here we go again, one last time:

Why do you want to be paid by cheque?

Art

Simply because I am of the old school and for 30 odd yrs I have been paid by cheque and every Thursday evening I hand my cheque over to my better half.

This has worked well for 30 yrs so if its not broken why fix it?

glenwalsh said:
This has worked well for 30 yrs so if its not broken why fix it?
Because the only constant in life is change. Some of it is good, some of it is bad but most of it makes little difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back