Worked overseas for 2 years and Employer now wants to file my 2011 Irish Tax Return

Cents&Sense

From May 2010 to March 2012 I worked in the UK for my Irish employer, travelling out weekly on Mondays and returning on Fridays and spending every weekend at home in Ireland. All of my UK travel and accommodation costs were paid by my employer. Remaining on my original T&C's as an Irish-resident PAYE employee, I was quite happy to do this and realise I was very lucky for the opportunity.

The company have now hired a local replacement and I am now working back in Ireland in my original position. Last week, one of the big accounting firms emailed me directly to say that they have been "authorised by my employer to assist with my 2011 Irish Tax Return" and they ask a number of personal tax-related questions giving me 'till Friday 1st June to respond "in order for them to complete my return". I have not yet responded to their email.

My employer has never mentioned this to me and obviously there is a financial benefit for my employer in relation to my situation, but could this possibly be in my interest? Any comments would be much appreciated.

My employer has never mentioned this to me and obviously there is a financial benefit for my employer in relation to my situation, but could this possibly be in my interest? Any comments would be much appreciated.

I don't see how this benefits your employer... it is a common enough thing for employers to do in your situation as they recognize that they have made your tax compliance situation more complex than it would normally be. If you don't want to use the service, simply replay to the email, telling them that you don't want to use them.

The advantage to you is that you save time and can rest assured that you are in full compliance with the tax rules. Also if there is any kind of dispute they will handle it for you and invoice you employer for the costs.

Thanks Jim2007,

That puts my mind at ease somewhat. What is unsettling for me is the fact that the accountants are also seeking my wife's PPS No. and that for me, my (and my wifes) personal tax is personal.

Thanks Jim2007,

That puts my mind at ease somewhat. What is unsettling for me is the fact that the accountants are also seeking my wife's PPS No. and that for me, my (and my wifes) personal tax is personal.

If you are jointly assessed then they'll have to have your wife's details as well. The accounting firm will be paid by your employer, but they can't and shouldn't disclose any of your (or your wife's) personal details to your employer.

If you are jointly assessed then they'll have to have your wife's details as well. The accounting firm will be paid by your employer, but they can't and shouldn't disclose any of your (or your wife's) personal details to your employer.

As Mandelbrot said.... it is kind of hard to do the return without all the details.

Back