Worked in UK for 22 years ,UK pension?

Scoop64

HI, i worked in the UK between 1982 to 2002, working in ireland now 2003 /present, retirement in 8 years, will i be entitled to a UK pension? thanks

Yes.

You should apply to make voluntary NI contributions from 2002 onwards to get you to the 35 years of contributions needed for a full UK state pension.

You can do this in arrears but you must apply before April of this year!

Form here.

Class 2 contributions are much cheaper than Class 3. Check here for details under the section If you were living or working abroad.
You can claim back to 2006/7 - deadline is 5 April 2023. After that you can only claim back 6 years.

I have approx 20yrs UK pension and I receive a 50% pension and also my wife as a depending relative

So if I don't top up credits I will still get some UK pension,. So you can claim a UK pension and Irish pension at same time.
I will be 27 years working in Ireland by 67 , will this qualify for a full Irish pension, not sure with new set up how this works now, I've only started thinking about all this now, should have years ago. Thanks

Last edited:
So if I don't top up credits I will still get some UK pension,. So you can claim a UK pension and Irish pension at same time.
I will be 27 years working in Ireland by 67 , will this qualify for a full Irish pension, not sure with new set up how this works now, I've only started thinking about all this now, should have years ago. Thanks
Yes, I think the minimum number of years for claiming a UK pension is 10 years. It's well worth topping up with voluntary NI contributions too. Many people have both Irish and UK state pensions. I'm not sure about whether you will get a full Irish pension - depends on the rules when you turn 67.

I will be 27 years working in Ireland by 67 , will this qualify for a full Irish pension,
Did you start working in Ireland at age 40? Have you worked permanently since?

If you have at least ten years contributions and an annual average of at least 48 weeks since you started working in Ireland for the first you will get the full Irish state pension at on the basis of the "average" approach. If, however, you worked even a few weeks in Ireland at age 17 then your average will be lower as they will take all contributions and divide them by 50, ie, 67-17.

It's not straightforward. Read some more here.

Did you start working in Ireland at age 40? Have you worked permanently since?

If you have at least ten years contributions and an annual average of at least 48 weeks since you started working in Ireland for the first you will get the full Irish state pension at on the basis of the "average" approach. If, however, you worked even a few weeks in Ireland at age 17 then your average will be lower as they will take all contributions and divide them by 50, ie, 67-17.

It's not straightforward. Read some more here.
But the Government recently announced the intention to phase out the “average” method and to move to the Total Contribution Approach only (ie 1/40 of a State Pension for each year of contributions) over the next 8 years. So if the OP is expecting to reach age 66 in 8 years, it’s likely the 1/40th model will be the main calculation model.

Sounds confusing working that out, I was 38, when I started working in Ireland now 58., 1 year cap redundancy in 2008, Take it it will be 67/ 68 retirement age when I get to it in 9 Years.

But the Government recently announced the intention to phase out the “average” method and to move to the Total Contribution Approach only (ie 1/40 of a State Pension for each year of contributions) over the next 8 years
Where are the legislative proposals though?

Maybe I've missed them, but it has been government policy to "do something" about this for a decade now and nothing has been done.

Where are the legislative proposals though?

Maybe I've missed them, but it has been government policy to "do something" about this for a decade now and nothing has been done.
The Minister announced in September last that the Government were accepting the recommendation of the Pensions Commission that they move to the Total Contribution Approach only, as the calculation method for the State Pension. The Minister said that this would be phased in over a 10 year period starting in 2024 (the precise methodology to be finalised).
In the case of the OP, the State Pension age is proposed to remain at age 66 (unless a new Government changes that??) so that will be circa 8 years away. By then the TCA will perhaps be the dominant calculation model, but how the phasing-in will work is not yet clear. So the TCA would give the OP c28/40ths as a minimum.

I have a couple of questions on the voluntary contribution to the UK pension. I worked (employed) in the UK from August 2010 to January 2017. Based on the UK National Insurance Record I have 7 years of full contributions. My questions:
- The state pension website quotes 800 Pounds per year to make up the cap for the subsequent years (2017 onwards). That sounds like it is Class 3. I think I should be Class 2 as I worked until the day I left the UK and am now living in Ireland. How do they know if I'm Class 2 or Class 3? How do I tell them?
- Until the April deadline, my understanding is that one can buy back years as far back as 2006. Would I be able to buy 2006 to 2010, noting that I only set up a UK National Insurance Number in 2010 when I moved to the UK?

simple answer is to fill in their forms and send them off - they'll tell you what to pay.

even at GBP 800 per annum, it's still a good deal

I think I should be Class 2 as I worked until the day I left the UK and am now living in Ireland. How do they know if I'm Class 2 or Class 3? How do I tell them?
Write them a letter and say you should be on Class 2 not Class 3.

- Until the April deadline, my understanding is that one can buy back years as far back as 2006. Would I be able to buy 2006 to 2010, noting that I only set up a UK National Insurance Number in 2010 when I moved to the UK?
I only worked in the UK in my mid-20s but was eligible to buy back years as far back as 18. I was credited UK contributions for age 16 and 17. I have no idea why but am not complaining.

Personally I can buy back another seven years and then make contributions going forward and have 35 years by the time I'm 53. If I do this it's obviously money I could spend on something else and if I pass away before 67 it's all wasted.

My other option is to make contributions going forward and have my 35 years by 65 or so. This means less cash up front of course but there is the risk the voluntary contributions get more expensive in future.

Either way I have to decide before April.

Thanks both. I will contact them.
They are very hard to get through to on phone. I just write them letters. Just say something like: "Based on my contribution history please classify me as Class 2 rather than Class 3".

They are never in a hurry to reply but most of us are far off pension age anyway.

They are very hard to get through to on phone. I just write them letters. Just say something like: "Based on my contribution history please classify me as Class 2 rather than Class 3".

They are never in a hurry to reply but most of us are far off pension age anyway.
Agreed. Thanks again.

Back