Worked in Publice Service (Health): took a short break of service implications?

• Thread starter anneleonard
  • Start date
A

anneleonard

Hello,

I have worked in the public health service for the past few years and last year took a short break of service without realizing the implications of this.
Will this affect my pension rights as i believe i need ten full years of employment to qualify for a state pension.

Thank you.

Re: break of service

Ask your line manager - they may have agreed that the break in service would not mean leaving and rejoining the pension, check it out.

Yes, I guess the individual would know who is the most approachable.

Are you confusing State Pension Contributory (Social Welfare Pension) with Employment Pension.

Social welfare Pension is paid based on the No. of PRSI payments made throughout your complete working life, so if you take just a one year break from your complete working life it should not have any adverse effect.

Employment Pension - Check it out

No I dont think that the OP is confusing the State COAP with the HSE occupational pension.

Did you enquire from your HR department whether you could buy back service using the Notional Service Purchace as reccomended by LDFerguson? (see quotes below)

How long was your BoS? Was it a matter of a coulple of months or was it for a few years?

Have you spoken to your trade union?

Hi,

I work in the health service and last year had a short break of service without realizing the implications.
Is there anyway I can address this situation?
Will

You should check to see if you can buy back the service you missed using the Notional Service Purchase scheme.

An important issue is whether the OP was considered by her employer to have left service and rejoined or will the two service periods be added together to provide her pension and lump-sum at retirement.

Back