Work from home and neighbour's kids v noisy, what to do?

No way would I consider inviting children into my property. Are you mad? If I saw any neighbour doing that it would be a major concern. Do you not see a problem with this?

Where I live, I probably know most of the kids by name, and they often are on or near my property.. They are all good kids and I think it strange you would ask someone if they were mad to commuicate with their neighbours.

Where I live, there is a great sense of community and all the kids are constantly running in and out of places.

Where I live, I probably know most of the kids by name, and they often are on or near my property.. They are all good kids and I think it strange you would ask someone if they were mad to commuicate with their neighbours.

Where I live, there is a great sense of community and all the kids are constantly running in and out of places.

I am saying you are mad to ask children into your house. Of course I communicate with my neighbours also.

No I'm not mad. Maybe it's different as there are children in our house as well. Kids are invited in on the proviso that they have their parents' permission and they know where they are.

They wouldn't always match the children in age either. Little ones are very curious about babies and love to drop in and see how my baby is doing. I've no problem with inviting them in as along as their parents are alright with it.

This is the reason why we make the effort to get to know the children and families. If they are being noisy outside you either ignore it or you go out and explain why you need them to be quieter or move elsewhere. If they hear there is a baby trying to sleep they go straight away. The same if I were trying to work.

As annoying as it is you just have to put up with up.

We have a huge trampoline ( oh dear it's that time of year again ) which we put up at the start of the summer, a swimming/paddleing pool, swings ect ect ( i've my own little playground ) I get kids from all over the place not just my estate that will just walk in and out of the house, some of these i dont even know the parents but they are friends with my children. They will even ask to come in and play when my children arn't in.

Sometimes i feel like shouting at the lot of them to shut up and go home but you cant do that. I cant make a cup of tea without telling "john" not to bounce stones off "peters" head or "ciara" not to push "jack" to high on the swing. If any parent is looking for their child my house is the first port of call. Didn't plan it that way, it's just what happened.

If you have been working at home before you purchased the house then you made a bit of a mistake. If i wanted peace and quiet to work i'd live somewhere out of the way. I'm afraid that living in any estate ( give or take a few ) your going to get kids making noise where ever you are.

I wouldn't say problems but i've had a few occassions with teenagers hanging around the house till all hours, when we first moved in, the bf used to yell at them which isn't the best way to go judging by the state of his car the following morning. A few times i've gone out to them said i've no problem with them being there could they keep it down a bit as i have young children and once there was a lot of broken glass which in fairness they did clean up the next day and i've never had a problem with them since. I've sort of made "friends" with them by saying hello when ever i see them.

I would say if they are coming onto your property then yes you can ask them not to, or just build a wall around the front of your house. As for the noise it's a case of just dealing with it. Can you move to the back of your house, a few hours moving things around for a peaceful days work isn't to much trouble. Or ear plugs as suggested.

Or we could just have "kid-Free" estates lol

When children play they tend to make noise, not much a person can do about that.

We stayed in a hotel in Dublin and were asked would we be ok with a room at the N7 road side. We said ok, but were pleasantly surprised as the window had, what seemed to be a sliding window inside it and it was amazing how much noise it kept out.

My OH was laughing at me because I must have opened and closed this sliding window about 10 times because I was truly amazed how it kept out the noise of the traffic.

Might be something you could look into.

Happens in loads of estates and the solution really depends on age of kids and how reasonable they are.

If they are playing football on pavement, this can be particularly annoying.

Only real solution is to approach them with an alternative idea and explain that you are studying / doing exams or something else that gives a good excuse.

Ask if they could play elsewhere during particular hours and even a bribe of something like a goal net (quite cheap) to be located in a green area well away from you can work.

Being friendly to them is an absolute must. - Decent treats at halloween are also remembered.

Happens in loads of estates and the solution really depends on age of kids and how reasonable they are.

If they are playing football on pavement, this can be particularly annoying.

Only real solution is to approach them with an alternative idea and explain that you are studying / doing exams or something else that gives a good excuse.

Ask if they could play elsewhere during particular hours and even a bribe of something like a goal net (quite cheap) to be located in a green area well away from you can work.

Being friendly to them is an absolute must. - Decent treats at halloween are also remembered.

Excellent nuggets here, and would advise to get parents on board.

just thank heaven for the laughter of children,could be robbed cars and drink and drugs.

I think the OP made it pretty clear that it isn't melodic children's laughter, it was pointed out that they were noisy and 'bold'. Tend to agree that people with children can be blinkered when it comes to any wrongdoing by theirs or other kids!

I have young kids and I think this is a stupid comment. Walk a few yards in the mans shoes.
i think your post was stupid also!
you assume i have not had cause to work from home in a housing estate with children having a playdate in the garden next door, you open the window to let fresh air in and noise is amplified.. and thats without mentioning the lawnmower and the swearing when it hits a stone....
Well done you for having young children..

Fair point, but bold and noisy to one person (especially one without kids) can be another persons "kids just having fun". Its not always about parents thinking their kids are perfect angels.
My kid plays out on a shared area, and I know he can get a bit loud sometimes, when he does I always tell him to tone it down, if he shouts or roars he gets brought inside. But I have had a neighbour complaining that my son was laughing too much and disturbing them. It was the middle of the afternoon on a sunny day, he was behaving perfectly well, and was laughing! Some kids can be annoying, but some people need to get over themselves.

If you are working from home, of course you desire peace and quiet. But kids desire to have a little fun and outdoor activity too, and its an estate of homes, not offices. They are entitled too.

well put!

We have a huge trampoline ( oh dear it's that time of year again ) which we put up at the start of the summer, a swimming/paddleing pool, swings ect ect ( i've my own little playground ) I get kids from all over the place not just my estate that will just walk in and out of the house, some of these i dont even know the parents but they are friends with my children. They will even ask to come in and play when my children arn't in.

Sometimes i feel like shouting at the lot of them to shut up and go home but you cant do that. I cant make a cup of tea without telling "john" not to bounce stones off "peters" head or "ciara" not to push "jack" to high on the swing. If any parent is looking for their child my house is the first port of call. Didn't plan it that way, it's just what happened.

I hope you're well insured.

....the bf used to yell at them which isn't the best way to go judging by the state of his car the following morning. ...

Thats terrible.

I've the same problem, I work for a multinational but work from home. Have the neighbours from hell. Apart from the kids playing, its babies crying, mother cursing, doors slamming and then some weekends they have parties where they're outside drinking, shouting and on a trampoline at 2.30am. I've recently being diagnosed with breast cancer and between those hard nights and working from home with the neighbours from hell. Our only options are to ask them to at least have some consideration and as soon as the economy picks up, we'll move..

No problem with kids playing but they should realise they live very close to neighbours that may not be able to tolerate it all day.
Just my opinion but I consider them the neighbours from hell. Can't wait to moe!

I've the same problem, I work for a multinational but work from home. Have the neighbours from hell. Apart from the kids playing, its babies crying, mother cursing, doors slamming and then some weekends they have parties where they're outside drinking, shouting and on a trampoline at 2.30am. I've recently being diagnosed with breast cancer and between those hard nights and working from home with the neighbours from hell. Our only options are to ask them to at least have some consideration and as soon as the economy picks up, we'll move..

No problem with kids playing but they should realise they live very close to neighbours that may not be able to tolerate it all day.
Just my opinion but I consider them the neighbours from hell. Can't wait to moe!

Sorry to hear that Paulsgirl, can only imagine what it must be like. Maybe try the earplugs option suggested above (at least while working) but in the main try not to stress too much about it if you can and best of luck with your treatment - just be sure to look after yourself.

Well done BlueSpud, we could all take a deep breath and look at it from the poster's perspective before we hit 'Reply' and litter the thread with non-value added responses.

I would say communication is key and it may be worthwhile trying to get to know your neighbour (the kid's mother) and then explaining your situation after a while. It's also worthwhile talking to the kids on a regular basis, not just walking out to tell them off or move along. If they see you as being reasonable then they will be more likely to listen to you, if not, then watch out!!

Last option is a long term one.....meet a girl, get married, have kids of your own and tell your own kids to pysh off while you're working and bring their friends with them :)

Good Luck.

I have young kids and I think this is a stupid comment. Walk a few yards in the mans shoes.

Did the issue of noise come up when your employer assessed your home workplace to ensure that you have a safe working environment?

Shoelover, I appreciate the situation that you describe and unlike some posters, I don't think it appropriate that because people are children , that they be allowed disturb and cause annoyance to their neighbours. But then again, while I had a great childhood, my parents didn't approve of kids screaming and carrying on like you describe.
There isn't much you can do as their parent obviously has no problem with it. I have dealt with it in the following way . Always salute and smile at the kids and be friendly. After a while, start to go out when they are messing with your wall and hang around . Believe me most kids don't want adults hanging around them and if they don't move off and if they seem friendly, then tell them what you're doing and would they mind just lowering the noise a little. All this has to be done with a smile even if you are seething.
It worked for me but as you can see from some of the replies on this forum, some parents think it acceptable for children to behave like this. I personally think that children can have just as good and healthy a time without screaming and roaring and 'messing' and regardless of whether or not you are trying to do some work at home or whatever, you are entitled to have a bit of peace. All this is said with due regard to children having the right to enjoy themselves on the common area, however if it's the type of behaviour I think it is, I feel sorry for you and hope things improve.

Back