Work from home and neighbour's kids v noisy, what to do?

It's easy to lose perspective here.

There's a good reason for locating offices away from residential areas and vice versa. Residential neighbourhoods have many distractions (kids playing, lawnmowers, people knocking on the door selling carpets etc etc).

You need to realise that the so-called objectionable behaviour is not really objectionable in a non-working environment - and this particular workplace is not a normal working environment.

Working from home is not for everyone. The people who are most successful at working from home tend to be people who can deal with this kind of distraction and still get work done.

In other words, the problem is not with the kids or their parents. It's with the OP.

I've worked from a home office for almost 20 years. There have been kids ( now growing up ) over the years playing outside. I've been able to continue my profession without any problem from the kids playing outside. It's their home . It's my workplace. You have to get along. If you cannot concentrate and work in that environment then you need a different environment. Home is a natural environment for kids to play. It might not be a natural place to work from. Compromise is needed.

I work from home. My kids are very noisy (they're six and four). I shouted a lot. Then I put on my headphones, cranked up the Bachman Turner Overdrive and got on with it. There must be something you like to listen to that doesn't affect your concentration?

Then I put on my headphones, cranked up the Bachman Turner Overdrive and got on with it.

What kind of work do you do, exactly? :)

(B-b-b-baby you ain't seen nothin' yet - great song but not compatible with all types of work!)

What kind of work do you do, exactly? :)

(B-b-b-baby you ain't seen nothin' yet - great song but not compatible with all types of work!)
Computer programming. The Fratellis are a current favourite for programming, ELO/Queen long-time for testing. Faith No More and Motorhead often feature... :eek:

Back