Word Query

Babs

I'm having a problem with microsoft word. I seem to have managed to save a piece of text into my blank word document template. Now everytime i open a new document it appears with the text, i can highlight it and delete it but its starting to become a bit of a pain. :(

Does anybody know how i can change it so that when i create a new document it is blank. I tried going into the templates and deleting the blank document template but with no joy.

Thanks in advance :)
Babsx

Search for a file called 'normal.dot' and delete it.

This is the standard template file that word uses. Next time word starts up the file will be recreated, blank.

I'm having a bit of difficulty deleting that file. I went into start - search but it couldn't find the file to delete it. I then opeded word and went to file new and tryed to delete it from their (templates) but with no joy as the document was in use. So finially i clicked on close not exit, to just close the doc and not the word application but it just closed the word application on me??

Help please ........ its driving me crazy !!

Babs,

You should be able to find it by doing a search for normal.dot

Start - Search - Files or Folders

If not, the file is the C:\Microsoft\Templates folder

Go to My Computer - Hard Drive - Microsoft - Templates

Delete the Normal.dot file and load Word again.

Hi Techman,

I'm going to drive you nutts but i still can't manage to find that file. I'm using windows XP, Microsoft office 2000 premium. I went to Start - Search - files and folders- typed in normal.dot, no luck. Then i tried normal on its own, and it brought up a list of normal files but none of them was Normal.dot.

I then went into my computer - hard drive - program files - microsoft office - templates - into folder -1033 and it seemed to contain all the templates for office but no normal.dot. It had the templates for a fax, contemporary letter etc but no normal.dot

Sorry for being a pain

Try going into Windows (not Internet) Explorer and doing the following:

Tools -> Folder options -> View

then enable Show hidden files and folders and disable Hide extensions for known file types and click Apply to All Folders before trying to search/browse for the file in question again. If/when you find it and delete it you can always reset the options above to their default values and click on Apply to All Folders to revert to the old settings.

ClubMan said:
Try going into Windows (not Internet) Explorer and doing the following:

Tools -> Folder options -> View

then enable Show hidden files and folders and disable Hide extensions for known file types and click Apply to All Folders before trying to search/browse for the file in question again. If/when you find it and delete it you can always reset the options above to their default values and click on Apply to All Folders to revert to the old settings.

The best way to fix this is to start Word without loading any addins or templates using the /a startup switch.

(See [broken link removed] for more info or search for Word Startup in Word help.)

Choose

Start -> Run

and enter

Winword /a

in the Open dialog box.

Press Enter or choose OK.

This will start Word with a blank document, without loading your corrupt normal.dot.

You can then choose File -> Save As.

In the Save As Type combo box on the bottom of the Save As dialog, change the type from "Word Document" to "Document Template" (you will have to scroll down or just press "D" to highlight it). The folder will change to your current Templates folder, where you can see your Normal.dot file.

Now save the current blank document over this by double-clicking Normal.dot.

Alternatively, you could right click on Normal.dot, choose Rename, and rename it to something like Normal1.dot. If you do this, then close and restart Word, it will create a new Normal.dot file.

Back