Wooden Windows Replacing Advice

Cantona7

We live about 100 yards from a busy 3 lane road in Dublin. All the windows are wooden single glazed and in dire need of replacing.The house is 25 yrs old. I would like to stay with wooden windows if at all possible. As the noise from the road is a factor, what should i be looking for in a replacement window. In total im looking at replacing 7 windows. I have never had to do this before so id appreciate any advice.

Cheers
C7

We live about 100 yards from a busy 3 lane road in Dublin. All the windows are wooden single glazed and in dire need of replacing.The house is 25 yrs old. I would like to stay with wooden windows if at all possible. As the noise from the road is a factor, what should i be looking for in a replacement window. In total im looking at replacing 7 windows. I have never had to do this before so id appreciate any advice.

Cheers
C7

You could just get the single glaze changed to double glaze, that would save you a bit.

If noise is a problem and the purse strings can stretch to triple glazing thats the way to go or if like the rest of us the budget is a little bit tight go with double glazing but ask for a quote to include two different thicknesses of glass i.e. 6mm OptiWhite/16mm Swiss Spacer/Argon Filled/4mm OptiShield.

The two different thicknesses of glass will reduce the sound that transmits through the glass (speed at which sound travels is disrupted by the two different thicknesses of glass - pilkington rep told me this about 15 yrs ago and I have heard it in numerous other places since).

Energy efficiency wish there is very little difference between double glazing and triple glazing. Triple glazing is really for sound.

Definately Iroko (teak) double sealed windows is what you want - some people call them stormproof design. Most of the imported/continental windows only have one seal and are made for softwood which is not suitable to the Irish atmosphere.

Of course normally you can only put in a 14mm double glazed unit into a window designed for single glaze and you can't gas fill a 14mm unit either.

But you could stretch the size to 16mm and put in as NGH says 2 different gauges of glass into the unit.

Double glazing reduces sound and with 2 different thickness of glass you could reduce it further, I assume the 4mm glass is on the outside.

S.L.F. - anywhere i used it i have put the thicker pane to the outside, i have asked that question a few times and was told that it did'nt matter... do you think it would be better to the inside

Thanks for the replies.The frames are actually the worst part, warped and in a bad state so thats not a runner. Will start contacting some companies now that i have something to work on, thanks NHG and SLF.

C7

S.L.F. - anywhere i used it i have put the thicker pane to the outside, i have asked that question a few times and was told that it did'nt matter... do you think it would be better to the inside

I'd have thought the 4mm soft glass would absorb the main sound then the thicker glass would not allow any of the sound to come through.

I'm not a physicist nor a sound engineer or even a glass manufacturer.

It's just what my head is telling me.

I could be totally wrong and probably am.

Either way I'm not going to worry about it.

NHG you almost always have good advice here on AAM so I'd be inclined to think you were correct about the placing of 4mm as compared to 6mm glass

SLF - hopefully someone might be able to clarify this one of us... you have me thinking now... i have a project on hand at present requiring 6/6/4 for sound (georgian panes and wants to keep the dividing mullion as fine as possible)

SLF - hopefully someone might be able to clarify this one of us... you have me thinking now... i have a project on hand at present requiring 6/6/4 for sound (georgian panes and wants to keep the dividing mullion as fine as possible)

Normal glazing bars are between 17 and 21mm but if using a double glazed unit it goes up to under 40mm ie 15 each side and strip 5mm and a little bit of space.

I have heard of a double glazed unit that has a 5mm seal instead of a 12mm seal and is 12mm thick instead of 14mm min.

I understand it is quite expensive in comparison.

Regarding the placement of 4mm glass as compared to 6mm, it does make sense to me that if you have a soft glass (low-e or k-glass) that is the glass to have on the inside no matter the gauge

Back