Wooden front door - tidying up advice

Carnmore

Can anyone suggest the quickest and cheapest way to tidy up a varnished door? It's a bit faded and I had the house pressure washed recently and there are run marks on the door.

It's just to improve the presentation for a house to be sold.

Some residents have varnished their door but that hasn't solved the problem - you can still see the marks!

Thanks in advance.

If it doesn't look too out of place, give it a light sanding and paint it a gloss Black, replace the latch etc with a fresh brass one.
Will look good.

As I do my own, would only be guessing you would pay about €200 all in for a handy man to it. Its really something you could do yourself. Masking Tape, 120 grade sand block/paper, paint sheet, cloth to wipe down and paint brush, not roller, and most importantly, not to rush. You will get a great sense of achievement once completed.
Btw, Black is only for the front of the front door, a satin white wood paint for the inside will brighten up any hall.

As I do my own, would only be guessing you would pay about €200 all in for a handy man to it. Its really something you could do yourself. Masking Tape, 120 grade sand block/paper, paint sheet, cloth to wipe down and paint brush, not roller, and most importantly, not to rush. You will get a great sense of achievement once completed.
Btw, Black is only for the front of the front door, a satin white wood paint for the inside will brighten up any hall.

Thanks. Would it need more than one coat and what would the drying time be? (I'm thinking how long it'd be open for).

Also, what colour should the door edges be painted - the external or internal colours?

One coat of quality brand should do.
Will most likely say drying time on tin.
Do read the paint instructions.

Inner vertical edges imo would be also white.
Obviously do this on a dry day with Windows open for ventilation.
Enjoy the results.

I very much doubt you would want to paint a wood door with a gloss finish without putting an undercoat on first. I would ask the experts before going ahead with that.

I very much doubt you would want to paint a wood door with a gloss finish without putting an undercoat on first. I would ask the experts before going ahead with that.

Read the original request, it has been very well replied to by L S400.

Read the original request, it has been very well replied to by L S400.
I did thanks very much! I don't agree that one coat of gloss paint over a lightly sanded, previously varnished wood door would be suitable. I think it would need one, possibly even two coats of undercoat first before applying the gloss paint. As I said, OP you can ask the experts when buying the paint if unsure.

I did thanks very much! I don't agree that one coat of gloss paint over a lightly sanded, previously varnished wood door would be suitable. I think it would need one, possibly even two coats of undercoat first before applying the gloss paint. As I said, OP you can ask the experts when buying the paint if unsure.

"Can anyone suggest the quickest and cheapest way to tidy up a varnished door"? He wants quick and cheap, not perfection, but he's getting near enough that anyway for what he asked for.

Back