Key Post Wooden Floors

Hi sunnyday,

No, bit of a DIY disaster and haven't done it before. Where have you seen the semi-solid for sale at €20?

GG

Yes indeed would be interested in that as well. 20 euro sq yd is very cheap for semi solid. Any thoughts anyone on Des Kellys for the wooden flooring?. Anyone seen any adverts recently for free fitting included!?

Where have you seen the semi-solid for sale at €20?
I've seen it for that price many times in a whole range of flooring type outlets. The local papers usually have ads during sales.

Glue on Floor

Managed to track down the [broken link removed]. No need for a vapour barrier, so imagine it works out much cheaper.

Some other posts

Westbound
Costs of laying floors

I have bought the materials and a family friend is doing the work. I want to pay him the going rate for laying the floor. The house is in the midlands.

Does anyone know the per metre/per yard rate for this kind of work?

stobear
Very frequent poster
Re: Costs of laying floors

Why not ring around a few suppliers and ask them what they charge for purchasing and fitting the floor, a few quotes like this would give you a ballpark. Am interested to know also as I will be purchasing floor and doing something similar in the near future

Once Bitten

was quoted Eur 10 per sq yd to fit laminated wood flooring and Eur 26 to fit solid.

Take a guess on where semi-solid would be based on that.

Munster area.

EvilDoctorK
Frequent poster

Depends on the size of the individual pieces of Wood too ... Laminate (which is dead simple to lay .. DIY job really) usually comes in large strips ... Solid flooring can often come in tiny pieces (but not always - plank size varies)

Needless to say the smaller plank sizes cost more to install

€15-20 per sq yd was a figure I got for Solid floors

darraghdog
Removing Laminate flooring

Hello,

I need to remove my laminate flooring (~40m2) to let water from a leak dry out. A colleague has recommended I do this myself. I have no experience but am willing to give it a go... is this really so simple ? (The lamintate click-together and has skirting boards on the side with a thin wooden rim on the kitchen sides).

Many Thanks,

Darragh.

P.s. I know the toic has been covered before, but anymore recommendations for a reliable solid-wood floor layer in Carpenterstown area ?

EvilDoctorK
Frequent poster
Removing the floor

Your are removing it for disposal I assume (I don't think click together laminate can be reused anyway as the joints are only designed to click together one time)

If so it's easy enough to lift - no skill required just brute force really ! I'd lift the edging strip by your kitchen and you will then probably see the end of hte laminate "planks" .. Use something like a very large screwdriver / crowbar - somethign strong and rigid and long enough to get good leverage - slide it under the flooring - if possible under a join in the flooring .. then just pull hard.... it's a bit of a pain to get it started but once you get a start on it the rest of it should come up easily.

ABYR
Laminated or Solid

Buying wood flooring for the new house and was wondering about peoples options on whether solid or semi solid was worth it opposed to a good quality laminate flooring.? I prefer the laminate as i am terrified of the solid wood being ruined by high heels and marks etc!.....The laminate may be more hard wearing. We have our eyes on a nice varnished dark maple flooring and the planks are 900 mm thick. Also would 30 quid a sq yard be expensive for this type of flooring.

stobear
Very frequent poster
Re: Laminated or Solid

Recently bought a solid wooden floor from Irwins, previously recommended here on AAM. Found them in Castleblaney, they have a superb showroom and excellent personal customer attention. We had an existing floor already down and wanted to extend it, so our choice was pretty much already made, the solid floor we had has seen 5 years service and although little exposure to high heels, its almost perfect. Irwins charged us for the floor, same as Noyeks in Dublin, but wait for it, 60% less to fit it!! They provide a list of couriers they recommend who will deliver countrywide, and a list of fitters, our wood is currently aclimatising ready for fitting in 2 weeks. Fitter lined up. All round no complaints. Brother has laminate flooring and although practical doesn't really look the part. Mr Irwin told us that solid wood will mark with high heels as 'an average woman in heels exterts the same pressure as a elephant!' His words, not mine!

Re: >>Wooden Floors

I am refurbishing a 1950's semi.

It has pitch pine plank flooring throughout which is in good condition.

Can I lay a semi-solid wood floor on top of this without having to lay a preparatory underfloor, such as OSB or plywood sheeting?

Thanks.

D.

You can lay a semi-solid floor over existing floor.You'll need to fix down any loose boards and maybe sand out any un-eveness there may be.

I would also put down a 1000guage moisture barrier under the 3mm foam before you proceed as there is often moisture issues in older houses.............

floortec said:
I would also put down a 1000guage moisture barrier under the 3mm foam before you proceed as there is often moisture issues in older houses.............

Take advice before you do this, I think this might be approptiate for laying on concrete, but is could cause problems in the wood underneath.

Do consider a sound barrier upstairs, there is a good 'pergo' brand one I used recently, better than the standard foam. It comes in squares/tiles.

Blue spud has a valid point regarding vapour barrier. In anycase floating floors over an existing timber floor (at first floor level I assume) will not be subject to damp. Moy Materials do an excellent sound insulant as well, I think it's called Resopol (something like that). It's made from recycled rubber and cork and comes in two thicknesses. But this would probably be OTT in a domestic situation.

Was thinking about putting down semi-wood flooring in a 16ft x 14ft room. This is about 25sq yrds/metres at €25 + underlay + new skirtings say €700

My questions would be a> would laying it in front of an open fire +hearth cause any warping?
b> would it give the room a cold feeling and
c> would the fact that we have 3 dogs who tend to poke around and lie in front of the fire in the winter, give rise to scratch marks?

Hi All, I want to run with semi- solid oak throughout my kitchen and dining room, if I were to lightly sand the kitchen portion of the flooring and give it a couple of coats of a good varnish such as ronseal diamond would this suffice in the event of a water spill.........thanks. ..........p.s I know it comes pre-finished but I thought it might help to seal it

Hello,

I will shortly be moving into a second floor apartment. I had planned on putting in wooden floors but have discovered that it's not allowed in my complex because of noise. Could anyone recommend an alternative? I don't want to put down carpets as they'll get so dirty.

Ta!

[broken link removed]

Check this site out-I've seen this guys work-Fantastic

We have put down a pitch pine floor (about 36 sq.yds.). As most of you probably know, plastic coating is a bit pricey. A friend gave us some (not a lot) of yacht varnish and said that would be the biz. I'm a bit iffy - I though yacht varnish stayed tacky by design. What are your opinions out there - what would be as good as plastic coating and how many coats would we need?

Try a satin finish varnish. Much more subtle than gloss. Allows the natural look of the wood to shine through. Also, far less glare from the floor near windows.

Whatever you use, your floor will need regular maintenance. That's the tradeoff for having a wooden floor. Plastic coating defeats the purpose of having quality wood, in my opinion. You might as well lay a laminate floor. Much better to mitigate the maintenance by strategic use of rugs in places of heavy use such as doorways.

D.

>> I though yacht varnish stayed tacky by design.

Yacht varnish is not tacky by design. At least not the stuff you get in DIY shops and hardware shops. Very hardwearing stuff, I've used it in bathrooms, don't know about using it elsewhere.

Joan,

How's about doing a test on a small piece of the wood and see if it remains tacky.

Does anybody know whether yacht varnish is alright to put on pitch pine flooring?

Thanks.

Make sure it is suitable for interior use/allowed for contact with food . Yacht varnish might contain pesticides,fungicides etc. that are not legal to use inside the house . Check the safety data sheet available from the manufacturer, dealers are legally required to present the safety data sheet on demand. If it says on the tin "for exterior use " than don't use it in the house . Only if it says " for interior use " than it is suitable .
Hard wax is an alternative .

Re: Key Post: Wooden Floors

I removed the carpets from my house last year and couldn't afford to do much else - the wooden floors are the original ones put down when the house was built approx 30 years ago - they would be lovely except that there is a space, (approx .5 cm) between each slat of wood which causes huge amounts of dirt to collect in there. I have sanded (by hand) and stained them myself but I still feel that my floors are never clean. Is there anything I can do or will they have to be pulled up?

Appreciate any input,

Ime

Back