Wooden Floors -Suppliers

Newbie!

Hey,

We're looking for a new wooden floor (solid or semi-solid) for our sitting room. At the moment we have redecorated in mainly creams and whites so I think a dark(ish) floor will offset the floors really well - have had walnut in mind.

Anyways, have been to alot of the floor companies in Dublin - Doors and Floors, Hardwood Floor co. etc. I find that even the solid floors often look so glossed that they resemble laminates. I want something that looks like real wood if thats not too much to ask.

A nice man in Des Kelly told me that the only place to look for this is somewhere like Brooks Thomas for Buckleys. I haven't been able to get there yet as they close at 5:30. Has anyone any experience in buying new floors and could they offer any advice on these two providers ..or even anywhere else....

Should mention that we have a fitter, and dont want to spend anymore than €800 for about 20 square yards so max price is about. €40/y2

I have used these guys in Lucan in the past - Rough and ready, they also only take cash !!! [broken link removed]

I had three boxes over, they took them back and gave me the cash, so i found them good to deal with.

I have used these guys in Lucan in the past - Rough and ready, they also only take cash !!! [broken link removed]

I had three boxes over, they took them back and gave me the cash, so i found them good to deal with.

Actually have been getting random faxes to work from this crowd - had me doubts about them. You reckon they're the real deal?

Try Irwins of Castleblaney - a friend of mine got walnut flooring from them - looks brilliant and they're much cheaper than Des Kelly etc.

Hello.

We have gone to Mulveys (Homevalue Hardware) in Ranelagh and they always have fantastic deals. Last year we got solid wideplank oak flooring for €20 / sq yd! They have offers on all the time and are very nice to deal with.

Hello.

We have gone to Mulveys (Homevalue Hardware) in Ranelagh and they always have fantastic deals. Last year we got solid wideplank oak flooring for €20 / sq yd! They have offers on all the time and are very nice to deal with.

thanks for all the tips....keep them coming as you think of them! Hopefully we'll find something suitable.

We recently bought our solid wood flooring from brooks. Pain that they close before most of us finish work but they are open til 1pm on Saturdays. Really happy with the wood and it looks like it came straight from the tree! Good luck

I got my semi solid from Des Kelly in Swords, they have a good selection and are reasonable. Kitted the whole house out in it and a flat that we have for rent too and five years later, it still looks like new. Price wise for the two bedroom flat (four rooms in all) - semi solid, it was €1,300

There is a place in lucan village that is like a wholesale shop, got like for like solid floors 27e SQ mtr, cant think og the name but I know when I came into lucan village I came down a steep hill , turn right at a bank on a corner over I think a bridge and turned right, and there was a group of buldings on the right, worth a look, I dont know Lucan that well

I'd suggest that you go for semi-solid because real wood floors are a real pain when it comes to laying them, varnishing them, maintaining them for scratches and all that.

I got nice semi-solid "quick step" from Des Kelly's. I think I paid about 50 euro a pack for them. I have about 5 packs of walnut left if you want them, I meant to use them up and then never did. You know how it goes.

I bought french oak in brooks and absolutely love it. It was on sale at the time and cost aroun 38 Euro per syd. They had a shorter, narrower oak plank on offer also (around 32 if I remember correctly), that was cheaper, and Woodworkers in Terenure had the same. I found those two the cheapest of the lot, but I didn't go to Mulvey's in Ranelagh - have heard lots of good stories about them.

Back