Wooden Floors Advice

Paul J

I have semi solid wooden flooring in my house, and it has swelled up in places around the edges where the floor has expanded into the wall.

Can anyone recommend a good carpenter for the Swords area that can sort this out for me. I understand that it's possible to lift the skirting boards, and drill along the edges of the wooden flooring to relieve the pressure.

Typically what price do carpenters charges for this sort of work.

Thanks

Depending on how tight the floor is to the skirting I would pull out

the old skirt and replace with new.Budget around 30 Euro per room
I dont know what a carpenter will charge to fit.

Thanks for comments. The skirts are actually above the flooring, so the wooden floor is touching the wall.

The skirts will have to come off, and as far as I know it is possible to cut away part of the floor to leave a new gap along the sides.

I had to get this done not too long after the floors were laid , I called the original fitters back to fix it. The used a circular saw to cut another half inch off the edge of the boards , thus relieving the pressure. Check the pipes of any radiators you have in the room. When my floor swelled it bent the pipes and nearly flooded the whole area..

I'm having a similar problem with Solid wood floors that I got a friend to lay for me. They are pushing the door frame out of shape and the door wont close properly now. At the time I was told that plenty of expansion room had been left but the floor seems to have expanded a lot.

Could anyone recommend a carpenter in Dublin/Kildare that could sort this out for me and also fit new skirting in the room?

Back