Wooden fence

Pieface

I have an external wooden fence panels which need replacing. I have found that most places sell treated panels. Should I still stain them? Also should they be stained before they are fixed to the panel? I kinda remember reading some time ago that they should left outside to acclimatise before being painted. Thanks.

@Pieface - most of the fence panels would be stored outside at the place you purchase them from and they should be pressure treated - they shouldn't need any acclimatisation.

Have you the frames in place already ? Are they concrete based ?

I would recommend the panels to be stained / painted on a yearly basis - ideally when they are dry. There is a large selection of colours out there, if you have a colour theme in mind or alternatively just the standard default colours are good too - all depends on what you want to be looking at. Can also paint the frames, adds to the effect.

You can also get faux wooden panels - more expensive, but (supposed to be) no maintenance, something else for you to consider , but depending on your budget and the number of panels to replace.

Thanks Jazz01. I like no maintenance stuff. Where can I find faux wooden panels?

Does anyone know of places that supply, fit and stain and remove old fences in the Dublin, Kildare and Meath area.

@Pieface Most builder providers would have a selection of them - typically they are uPVC or similar. If you put "pvc panel fence" into a search engine then you'll get an idea of them & where you can purchase them.

If you are getting someone in to do the work, then they should also have a selection of these panels, available in various colours.

I don't have any recommendations of places that supply/fit fencing in that area...

Wow! What a website! I'm replacing concrete panels with wooden panels in the coming weeks and some of my questions have been answered with the very first post I read!

My plan is to stain the wood panels (to give them the colour I want) and then to varnish them (to protect them).
Can anyone on here recommend good brands for stain and for varnish?
AFAIK there are combined stain and varnish applications, but I'd prefer to do them separately.

I have seen some in TJ O Mahony's when I was there. A quick search shows quite a few suppliers - Fogarty PVC fencing, B&Q, maintenance free.ie...I haven't used any but lots of options.

Can anyone on here recommend good brands for stain and for varnish?
I've used Ronseal Fence Life and found it good. No need for a varnish over that.

Stain and varnish cound give you longer between treatments, so if you want to go that route, you'd be better off using a stain and varnish from the same company, like Sadolin's stain & varnish. Many of the fence stains intended as a single coat can contain wax that would affect a varnish coat.

I've used Ronseal Fence Life and found it good. No need for a varnish over that.

Stain and varnish cound give you longer between treatments, so if you want to go that route, you'd be better off using a stain and varnish from the same company, like Sadolin's stain & varnish. Many of the fence stains intended as a single coat can contain wax that would affect a varnish coat.

Not long after I posted this I bumped into a friend of a friend who does a lot of semi-hobby woodworking.
He described Ronseal, Sadolin and Cuprinol as "yellow pack" products. "They'll do if you want something cheap, or are a landlord, but it may look cheap too."

He recommended Sikkens. It's far more expensive but I'm so glad I went with it. I've never seen such a good looking fence as my own. It really works wonders.

A delivery guy from Amazon was dropping off a parcel yesterday. He scanned the box, handed it to me, pointed at the fence, and just said "awesome!".

Depends on what you're putting the Sikkens on. If it's that cheap wooden fencing panels one sees in Woodies, B/Q, garden centres etc, I'd say they're all the same in that case, ie, the varnishes. Can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Last edited:
Back