wooden blinds or curtains

joshea

Hi

kit/living and Sunroom all open plan and south facing
Should i go with curtains or wooden blinds?

These along with the utility and sitting and bedroom all face the road, so what goes in one window has to go on all????

Also in the sunroom the roof is vaulted and there is only 10 inches of clearance above the window opening. Is this enough for curtains or will it look crowded at the top when I go up the standard 6inches with the pole?

please advise

joshea
i would recommend wooden blinds.
We got them recently for our apartment- it happens to overlook a main road so we wanted privacy, but allowing plenty of light in.
They are definitely worth checking out - I would recommend shopping around because we got a few quotes and quite allot differed in price . Hickeys charge for a call out quote but there are plenty of other places that dont.
Happy hunting!

My experience of wooden blinds is that they definitely reduce the amount of natural light coming into rooms purely because of their thickness, so if you do decide that they are for you I would opt for the 50mm slats.

Having said that, they are very good at retaining heat in a room compared to any other sort of blind.

Another downside is that, unlike an aluminium blind, if you pull them up they don't go up as far, & just don't look right.

They also don't seem to close as tightly as aluminium blinds, & as far as privacy goes this to me is a disadvantage.

They are also much harder to keep clean, & physically clean than aluminium blinds.

Alu-Wood blinds are what I'd recommend & recently went for, & am really happy with them as I like the wood effect - they are aluminium blinds with a wood effect look. They conquer all of the above mentioned downsides, but of course don't retain inside heat as my old wooden blinds did.

You can get wooden blinds in all different colours now, which is great, but I found that when I was shopping around that they all seemed to be on sale & special offer. Call me cynical, but this actually turned me off & gave me the impression that they were trying to get rid of them instead of how popular they were as manys the salesman tried to convince me!?

Hate wooden blinds.
Have you considered roman blinds - they can be made in all sizes and as mix and match same outer materials, but for extra privacy you can add matching linings to the living room blinds.

Also what goes on one window does definitely not have to go on all ! That would bore you to tears after a couple of years. Decide on 1 colour scheme for the main room and then pick up on colours/variations that won't clash with that for the other rooms.

Same if you opt for curtains, keep it simple but eye-catching.

Just got roller blinds in sunroom (the type with all windows) and rest of house, look spectacular from the road and great inside too.

Wooden blinds are a great product for the budget sensitive and also it can be custom made in a variety of sizes. They can make your home more energy efficient and are fairly simple to install. Many people prefer wooden blinds because of its beauty and the ease of cleaning. You can just wipe the blinds with a cloth to make it clean.

Back