Wood pellet store in garage roof space

fandango1

hi

Am in the planning stage for building a garage. Garage will house our wood pellet boiler and also some form of bulk store for the pellets.

Have heard mention of putting the pellet store in the roof space of the garage but have not been able to find any plans etc for the design of such a store.

Does anybody have any experience of creating this sort of storage area or is it simply a case of buying a regular bulk store and positioning it in the roof space?

Thanks.

Fandango1,

I have no experience of doing this. But, I am also considering the possibility of converting part of our garage to bulk store pellets. Our pellet boiler is in the garage.

You would need to think about:
1. Weight. A standard delivery of pellets weighs 3 tonnes. Structure will have to be able to hold maybe twice this mass.
2. Fire precautions. The pellet store will have to be fire isolated from the rest of the garage - especially so when the furnace is also there.
3. Dust. Wood dust in air is explosive. During delivery, pellets are blown into the store. An effective means of venting the dust kicked up during delivery of the pellets would have to be found.

Hi. We have built a wood pellet store in our garage attic. Our garage is 19/20 feet wide. The floor joists are 9 x 3 inch with a further support from a steel H iron 9 inches the full width of the garage and two short ones welded to this to the wall under neath the bin.

The bin stores 4-5 ton capacity. It is sealed at all edges. I made the bin of angle iron and sheeted with 3/4 inch ply wood. Rather than get the automatic feed we made a type of funnel to take the pellets from the bin to the storage hopper in the pellet boiler underneath and taken thru 6 or 8 inch galvanize pipe with a trap to shut off supply if ever necessary.

I didn't slope the sides yet as I was unsure of capacity requirements for the pellets. AT this stage I don't think I will slope the sides to make for complete emptying unaided as it takes one trip a year to completely empty the bin. No regrets so far.

The ceiling of the garage would need to be fire proofed, but you would need an engineer to check this out. All the best optimistic

You would need to

I have this done in my garage. If you pm your e-mail to me I will send you a picture of it. Very easy to do at planning stage.

Back