Wood Pellet Boiler Temps?

ciaranie

Hi, I have install a wpb buffer tank & solar panels. The buffer supplys the ufh and the dhw. At the moment the wpb comes on at 55c and cuts out at 60c. This seems high to me as the solar panels can not keep the boiler off even in summer. If I turn the temperatures down will it effect the ufh? Was thinking of turning it down to switch on at 45c and switch off at 55c. Any body any experience of this?

where are you living that you want heating at the moment? Why dont you turn off boiler altogether? How much solar have you got? You should have enough heat in the tank at 40 degrees for this time of the year...how big is the buffer?

DO NOT ADJUST YOUR SYSTEM TO BELOW 55 DEGREES

Below 55, will mean your dhw will also be stored below 55 degrees, and you are now in the temperature range that legonella love! and if you breath the spore in while having a shower, chances are you won't be around to tell anyone a few weeks later...I kid you not!

but the requirement is over 60 once a week? I never heard it had to be over 55 always??

The actual figure is above 51 deg c, 55 is normally given as a margin for error (as I assume 60 is!), and below 20 deg c is usually too cold to foster growth

The Approved Code of Practice in the UK requires storage to be at 60c minimum and temp at the point of use no less than 50c.

In high risk areas it is necessary to use mixing values at the point of use to reduce the temp to prevent scalding.

My boiler was set to 55c on 60c off. I changed it to 50c on and 55c off as I noticed that when the tank hits 55c it stops feeding pellets but starts an after burn process which keeps burning and this brings the tank of to 62c. When the boiler was set to 60c it stopped feeding pellets at 60c but would heat the tank to 65c because of the after burn process. The problem I have with these temps is that the solar panels can't keep the boiler off.

well from my experience around the country (and assuming the Irish regulation of 60 deg once a week is enough to remove legionnares) then I would set the boiler on a timer to just come on once a week for 2 hours if the water is less than 60 at that time, for the summer months.

Unless you have a two tank system or no need for hot water in the morning it will be hard to get solar to contribute to the heating in the winter. More likely it will just be able to assist the HW tank heating....

Back