Women drivers-put your lights on!.

Are they like the Popes Nose neither ornamental nor useful?

AJ

Next time you are talking to a turkey you might seek agreement about that.

Where do all the AAM male muppets hide ?

This thread really has them out in swarms :D

'Suppose its anything with cars & women that brings it on.

eDog

Re: Are they like the Popes Nose neither ornamental nor usef

Do you people honestly think that talking on the phone, turning lights on or off, indicating, etc, etc, etc, are gender specific.

Can you not just talk about Good Drivers And Bad Drivers and leave it at that.

For the record, I try to drive with dips all day, but regularly forget. It isn't quite as programmed into me as putting on the seat belt.

I do indicate when changing lanes but more often than not the drivers in the other lane (both genders) don't seem to understand my wishes and they tend to accelerate to close any gap I may have moved into in front of them.

Perhaps not indicating and catching them by surprise is the only way to change lanes in a city with so many ignorant drivers (both genders).

Still I comfort myself that they'll all rot in hell.

-Rd

Sex and driving???

Hear Hear Rd
Although I have to add that there is a third category between the good and bad. Let's call them the OK drivers. Wouldn't it be great if we were all perfect, all the time?
Being or having been a pedestrian, cyclist, motorcyclist, car, van, taxi, bus and truck driver on the streets of Dublin, I have experienced driving and drivers from most perspectives.
A bad driver is a bad driver...period! A good driver is only as good as the last time they were on the road!!!
It doesn't matter whether they are young or old, male or female.
To be a good driver requires 100% concentration, 100% of the time, on driving only!
Each time you turn to look at the reaction of your passenger to what you just said, you are less than 100%.
Each time you ogle / envy that 'fox',<100%.
Each time you brush the fallen cigarette ash from your lap,<100%.
Search for radio station / appropriate CD,<100%.
Shave, apply blusher, check hair or teeth in rear-view mirror, examine the extract from the nostrils, read the contents of the early letter post, utilise inappropriate hand signals not specified in the Rules of the Roads,<100%.

Being a good driver isn't something you learn, its something you do!
Be self-critical! How long since you read the Rules of the Road? Read 'em and weep, at how many of your acquired bad habits are 'not' recommended. (This applies to ALL road users pedestrians, cyclists and drivers alike!!!!)

Stopping when you have right of way to give someone, who hasn't, right of way doesn't make you a good driver! It makes you a bad driver because you are unpredictable!
Driving at 20 MPH doesn't make you a good driver, driving at an appropriate (including lawful) speed is best.
Driving with dipped headlights on doesn't make you a good driver; it just makes you more visible! It is a good idea but no more!
Indicators are provided for the benefit of others! Use them (for the sake of others) but use them correctly!
Don't indicate right when entering a roundabout just because you are going to start turning the wheel in a clockwise direction! We all know you need to turn the wheel clockwise on the roundabout!!!! We would like to know where you intend to EXIT!!!

On approach to a roundabout indicate as you would if the junction was not a roundabout! Left for turning first left, right for turning right and not at all for proceeding straight ahead! When you have passed, or as you are passing the turn/exit before your turn/exit THEN INDICATE!!! Indicating before turning is analogous to foreplay before sex...your intentions are obvious and everything runs smoother!

AND LASTLY, for now, IF YOU INTEND TO USE THE M50, PLEASE HAVE YOUR TOLL CHARGE IN AN EASILY ACCESSIBLE PLACE, WITHIN REACH, BEFORE REACHING THE TOLL BOOTH!

Don't indicate right when entering a roundabout just because you are going to start turning the wheel in a clockwise direction! We all know you need to turn the wheel clockwise on the roundabout!!!! We would like to know where you intend to EXIT!!!

I don't think this is correct. Have you checked the 'rules of the road'?

Indicating

No offence <bg> but as written, it is right!
Don't indicate just because your going to turn the wheel in a clockwise direction!

If you want to know how to indicate at a roundabout, I did detail it in the following paragraph!

Was that a Marbella tan or was it from a bottle?.

The two "no chicken blondes", plastered in makeup, decided yesterday evening to take down their automatic hard top on their 99 D blue mercedes sports. The problem was that they decided to do it while stopped at the traffic lights on the fast lane of the Stillorgan dual carriageway. The lights had turned green just as they started the process. Everyone had to wait behind them until the hard top was safely tucked away before they drove on. Gender specific....I think so.

Roundabouts

Roundabouts: Exiting first exit - indicate left on entering roundabout.
Exiting 2nd exit - indicate left after passing first exit, do not indicate right on entering roundabout.
Exiting 3rd or subsequent exit - indicate right on entering roundabout and then indicate left after last exit before you are exiting. It is quite simple really. For roundabouts with more than 4 entries/exits you can work it out based on the above.

As for Tonto - he's not really talking about driving is he, perhaps he should start his own thread!!

^^^ this is what I always do. (Even on the Mad Cow)

Apologies unreg, I misread your post. I thought you meant not to indicate right on entering the roundabout, regardless of what exit you're leaving.

roundabout

there are obviously excpetions to the indicating on roundabout rule, and in certain areas, additional signals are beneficial.

Near me in Ballinteer is a roundabout whereby the first exit is directly ahead of the entrance. Indicating left is still required to exit, though you are clearly driving straight ahead.

The second exit is at 90 deg to the approach, so the right signal on approach is accurate and valid. Not signalling when nearing the roundabout can give the impression your are travelling directly on.

Further complicated by the likes of Walkinstown and M50 junctions where the exits cannot be seen on approach.

On the whole, and if in doubt - add a signal , but signal accurately.

Old Pharts driving Almeras.

There are a number of roundabouts of the smaller variety in the Mount Merrion area where it would certainly be a help if motorists indicated right when entering especially if they are taking the second exit.

However there is nothing worse when you are stopped at a small roundabout waiting to enter when the idiot coming from your right also entering the roundabout doesn't indicate his/her intention and immediately turns to his left and exits. You have been waiting patiently and politely for them to enter before you, which ends up being a waste of time.

Going roundabout...

Thanks XAPX
Trixie did a much more straightforward discription of the roundabout instruction.
I was more stuck on those drivers who seem to insist on indicating right when entering the roundabouts for the sole reason (probably for no reason) that the steering wheel will turn clockwise even if only for 10 or 15 degrees.....

HGV. Know the roundabout only too well. Following Trixie's straightforward, roundabout (?) instructions, you would not be wrong to indicate left on approach but common sense (O oh!) says to indicate left on entry if you are going to take the first exit...

If you were going to turn right (the 90deg) I think I'd indicate right on approach. Everyone should understand where you intend to go. (Then indicate left after first exit because you are taking the second exit...)
As for the 'signal accurately'... If some drivers could only visualise what it looks like from the car behind them they might realise the error of their ways...

Back