Women drivers-put your lights on!.

H

Hawthorn

Dark skies, lashing rain, appaling road conditions and 4 out of 5 women drivers won't put their car lights on. It hasn't even occured to them, do they not notice other car drivers with their lights on. Women drivers wake up! It doesn't have to be night time before you put your lights on!!! I'm ashamed.

Dry wash.

I was recently driving behind an older woman for some time. It was brilliant sunshine and her windscreen wipers were on. She wasn't washing her windscreen or anything like that. Just didn't notice.

Re: Dry wash.

Wipers could have been broken, this happened to a someone I know recently.

eh..........

I'm a woman driver, I had my lights on this morning. I usually drive with dipped lights because my car is silver. Male drivers, please learn to indicate when changing lanes. On my way to work this morning at least 10 male drivers swerved in and out of lanes without indicating while breaking the speed limit.

Why silver? Hi yo silver away.

So, If your car wasn't silver then you wouldn't drive with your dips on eh?

???????

My car being silver means its a little harder to see it. So being a responsible driver I keep the dipped lights on, even when not needed, to make me more visible. OBVIOUSLY if I drove a red car, for example, I wouldn't feel the need to have dipped lights on during the day in good weather, you know when visibility is good. As mentioned before it doesn't have to be dark to put your lights on.

The nearest thing to silver is the Lone Rangers This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language.

Sorry it should have been OBVIOUS that you don't drive with your dips on if your car is red. Silly me.

8o

women drivers

I always drive with headlights on, so that big eejity speeding men drivers will hopefully notice me and not have a horrendous crash into me.

Insurance Statistics show that women have minor accidents, men have the major ones - speeding, overtaking blindly, etc etc. Which is why women's insurance is cheaper!

good

I'm glad you've learnt something positive today tonto, now off you go, safe in knowledge you're a safer driver, good day to you.

"My car being silver means its a little harder to see i

Ha !

At last someone with the same problem as I have.

Mine is a sort of goldy silver and to judge by other car drivers & pedestrians it its invisible. A cose of lights on more or less all the time.

Next car I get will be YELLOW :D :D :D :D

eDog

Re: "My car being silver means its a little harder to s

If [broken link removed] is to be believed the worst colours going from least safe to safest are:

1 Black (WORST)
2 Gold
3 Green
4 Blue
5 Red
6 Silver
7 White
8 Cream/beige
9 Yellow (BEST)

In sunnier climates white is a lot more popular (it is the most popular colour in Australia). So in an Irish context a silver car should be amongst the safest on the road.

Is that what women think?

According to wd it is the colour of the car that determines whether we put our dips on or not?

Is it a gender discussion only?

No Tonto - I imagine the colour of her car is ONE of the reasons she puts her dips on. The other is probably because she drives under the assumption that everyone else on the road could be a complete eejit and do something really stupid anytime (something we all need to do now). Perhaps if they're driving around in the dark, driving rain peering into oncoming traffic so they can count the percentage of female drivers who don't have their lights on for example.

There are good and bad drivers of both sexes. Perhaps if you weren't shitstirring and had just made the point a proper discussion would have ensued. Or perhaps the gender breakdown is your big issue. Can you supply gender breakdown figures for
a) returning to slow lane having overtaken on motorway,
b) proper use of indicators on roundabouts,
c) use of indicators when changing lanes,
d) undertanding that just because you have your indicator on does not mean you have the right of way.
e) provisional licence no. 1 but on your own in the car
f) provisional licence on a moped but carrying a pilliion passenger

thanks.

another point

and another point to add to the above:

g) use of mobile phone in car (NOT hands-free).....

Re: another point

I can't understand why the Govt hasn't made it compulsory for all cars to have their dipped headlights on 24 hours per day while being driven on the road. I reckon it would cost nothing and would probably save many lives. I try to drive all the time with my lights on (day or night) and I notice that other road users tend to give me a more "respect" (ie refraining from going into my path to overtake others) than when I am driving without lights.

Re: another point

I also drive with my dipped head lights on all the time. The AA and the government had a campaign during the summer to get all drivers to so. Mind you I hate seeing people with their fog lights on all the time or even worse their side lights and fog lights at night ( when there is no fog) and no head lights at all.

Mullingar drivers.

When I moved from Dublin to live in Mullingar I continued to drive with my headlights on FULL. The country people always appreciated this because they would flash me in "thanks". I never got this from any male Dublin driver.

Parking Lights

What with people driving around at dusk with parking lights? What is the purpose of Parking Lights? Are they like the Popes Nose neither ornamental nor useful?

Re: Parking Lights

The govt did put major money into an advertising campaign a couple of years ago to try and get people to switch on their lights during the day..to follow in Sweden's (i think) footsteps... as it was proved to reduce number of road accidents - but it just never caught on over here.

Remove the stickers. Oh look I can see now!

During the week I noticed a lady driver struggling to see around her Pay & Display stickers that were stuck on her drivers side window. Maybe removing Pay & Display stickers is not in the drivers manual.....yet?

Back