Woman training as a plumber

S

scruffy

I was looking for some advice re training as a plumber. I work full time and am on a good salary but do not want to be here forever. I like the idea of being as independent as possible with a flexible job (in terms of time & if I decide to have kids etc). I am also in the process of doing up an old house and can see that getting a good plumber is extremely difficult. We found a plumber eventually and all of my friends are queuing up to use him once we are finished!!

I think that being a female plumber can only be to my advantage - I would imagine that some women would feel more comforatable hiriing a female plumber if they're on their own etc.

Anyway I can't leave my job yet but would be able to do evening courses to get the necessary qualifications. Would anyone have any ideas about how I could go about this?

Thanks

Hi there

Thinking of doing the same Im 32 and interested in being an electrician.

Dont think there is any prt time course Im afraid to become a plumber.

If you find any pleae let me know

Cheers
Noel

You have to go through FAS and do a proper apprenticeship nowadays afaik.

Apart from the relevant training required plumbing is very definitely one of those trades that also requires an aptitude for working with your hands and it's not a clean trade like that of the electrician. How would you feel about unblocking someone else's toilet or trying to replace an old tank in a dirty attic space? Before you'd spend too much time or money you should see if you could convince a plumber to take you on for a few days work experience. You might only be a gofor but you'd get a flavour of what it's all about. Maybe you've already done this, if so go for it!

scuffy, female plumbers - bring them on! Could start a revolution. In fact, I'd suggest you recruit 2 or more of the fairer sex to join you, perhaps a few beautiful Eastern Europeans! You could be the 'scruffy's angels' of the plumbing world.
Hope you find a course and qualify.

I really hope you take the plunge and become very successful. I would love to do plastering but maybe a crash course for my own personal use would suit me better. I can't help but think of those dirty attics and I hope you do not have a fear of rats. Best of luck....

Scruffy,

Go for it if you think its for you, I would hire you no problem and I think I would trust a woman no problem but even though I am male I dont believe a word the males tell me!! I find that women tend to be a bit more diligent in their jobs as opposed to men, i know its just my experience but thats how I feel.

You should def go for it !!I'm sure you would be treated as well as any group of men plumbers, its all about how good you are these days not what sex you are

Thanks for all the positive feedback and funny posts, I'm sitting here at my boring desk grinning as I think I may possibly have an escape route!! I am getting to know our plumber well as he has to do so much to our house - going to ask him for advice and whether he would give me a bit of work experience down the road!!!

I will keep you all updated.....where there's a will there's a way...

Hey scruffy,
I am a qualified electrician working for myself but previously served my time for a big company.You will have to serve an aprentiship and the money for the first two years is pathetic(£87 basic for my first year).There were two women in my "block release" course and the instructor was female.I wouldn't let gender hold you back but I would have a talk with a few people as regards the downside's as I have come across alot of trades-people who are finding it dificult to get paid from jobs.
Best of luck with it tho : )

Interested in the same (plumbing) changing jobs currently working shifts in a large multi national and sick of night work very interested in trades and should have done it when I left school instead done electronic eng and no interest what so ever at it for the last 13 years and working shift in 1 form or another need a change.
any info you get can you send it on to me cheers

a female friend of mine qualified as an electrician several years ago. she is not your shy type so she could handle herslef when on the sites.

she now works in the IT/Services dept. of a large academic institution. as far as i know she has no regrets and we always have jobs for he to do whenever she comes to stay!

Interested in the same (plumbing) changing jobs currently working shifts in a large multi national and sick of night work very interested in trades and should have done it when I left school instead done electronic eng and no interest what so ever at it for the last 13 years and working shift in 1 form or another need a change.
any info you get can you send it on to me cheers
It's a four year FAS registered apprenticeship. Full time.
You also need to find a tradesperson to take you on.
You will need to be good with your hands, an aptitude for the technical side of the business (and yes, there is a technical side) and a willingness to get your hands dirty (the willingness to continue to cut out a blocked down pipe when someone else's cold excrement is running down your arm, inside your sleeve, and heading for your armpit.).
During your apprenticeship you will also need to be able to make a good cup of tea.;)

Isnt there an age limit on qualifying for a Fas apprentership course? There definetly was before when I looked into it think it was around the 26 mark -but maybe its gone now?

Jst found this on Fas Site -

Entry Requirements

Apprentices must be at least 16 years of age and have a minimum of grade D in 5 subjects in the Junior Certificate or equivalent.
Where individuals do not meet the minimum educational requirements they may be registered as apprentices by an employer if:
  • they satisfactorily complete an approved preparatory training course and an assessment interview, or
  • being over 25 years of age, have at least 3 years relevant work experience and satisfactorily complete an assessment interview.

Last edited:
This is probable of no help to you but I new someone who wanted to do a carpentry apren. and was working in the building trade in Dub didn't want drop to a apren. salary so did it on a release scheme with a college in Enniskillen one day a week there think it was a year longer than a fas scheme but he was able to earn his ordinary salary the rest of the week
He was doing it at the same time as my son who did it through fas he was only just 16 when he started the friend was late 20's

Back