Witnessed odd transaction (poss fraud) in petrol station shop - would you report it.

Re: Witnessed odd transaction (poss fraud) in petrol station shop - would you report

I would try and find the owner in this case. Just in case your manager is the guy himself, in which case he obviously wont act on your concerns.

Re: Witnessed odd transaction (poss fraud) in petrol station shop - would you report

Will tell them the information, factually, and let them follow up. After all, they know their own systems and whatever pitfalls it has.

I have the exact time and amount of their receipt and my receipt and even items, so if they are able to match till information against pump information (does every transaction log on the pump) against CCTV, so it will become clear if anything is wrong or not.

Thanks folks.

Sometimes I feel like I am a nosey git and should just mind my own business but on the other hand if it were my business and livlihood I would like someone to alert me, even if it turned out to be nothing.

A friend of mine was in a franchised fast food joint. He orders double burger and fries and Coke. He normally pays, say, €5.80 but is aked for €5 even. He notices that the serve doesn't key anything into the till. He looks at the menu and realises that he has been undercharged.

He is good mates with the guy who owns the place and calls him on his mobile while server gets the food. He explains his suspisions. Owner is in office and monitors situation on CCTV. Customer gets his food and eats it.

Owner watches server for 30 minutes. Six out of 15 transactions are not keyed into register. On each occasion, the server accepts an even amount (usually a fiver or a tenner). At this stage, the owner realises that his till is going to be at least €60 over by closing time. The server's shift nears an end when one of his fellow countrymen comes in and orders a burger. He hands in €5 but gets a big bundle of notes in change.

Owner says nothing. He follows server home to see exactly where server goes. Server is sharing home with cash-rich customer.

The following day, he sets up a trap with the cops who nabbed the twosome.

Was just on news today about 'white collar crime ' ........and even at the Green Party conference in Wexford ..................

This reminds me about my local pub............a relation of the barman asks for a pint ......he hands in a tenner.........the barman give him back .............exactly a tenner in notes and coins .

Jeez.. I didn't realise it was so wide spread..

Doyles, did you do anything about it?

It's happening everywhere - I would hate to own a retail business, unless you have incredibly tight controls, you are going to be ripped off by staff/customers.

A friend of mine, who I'm very disappointed in, told me last week that he has been 'invited' by a staff member at a posh gent's outfitters to come to the shop, try on some expensive suits to see what fits. When he has chosen the one he wants, he gives them €50 cash and then leaves the store empty-handed. The suit is then put in a black bin bag and left at the rear of the premises 'like rubbish' for him to collect.

The sales person is up €50 and 'my friend' walks away with a 500 Euro suit.

I would never dream of doing anything like that and am horrified that he would even consider it. I told him I hope he gets caught! ;)

The people partaking in it are just as bad as those instigating it. Spoke to a few people about this over the weekend....phone call tomorrow.

Let us know how ya get on Manda, would be interested to know

Let us know how ya get on Manda, would be interested to know

Yes I'd also love to know.

It's important for these people to be caught and punished for their crimes.

You being smart doesnt help SLF. If you were the owner of the garage, would you not care that you are being ripped off?

he is just trying to get his post count up smash!

Seems like it..

I usually pay by laser and when I get my receipts all goods are charged for and in order. However, in the past few months was on a very tight budget to clear my credit card and so I started paying for goods/services in cash (to stop me over spending) and asking for a receipt.

Wow the amount of dodgy receipts I got back and red faced till operators who had 'made a mistake'.... Seemingly the scam of charging for 1/2 items and pocketing the difference and not giving a receipt would (given my own recent experience) be rife.

Would I report it? No, for personal safety reasons.....

You being smart doesnt help SLF. If you were the owner of the garage, would you not care that you are being ripped off?

Speaking as a self employed person I detest thieves and believe people should be punished for stealing, however the reality is in this country there is very little deterant to stop people from it.

he is just trying to get his post count up smash!

Really dear shouldn't you be taking care of our baby.:p

Yes I'd also love to know.

It's important for these people to be caught and punished for their crimes.

If someone went in and stole €20 or €20 worth of goods from a shop and were caught, the Gardai would charge them and the shop would quite rightly prosecute. Why should it not be as important for employees dipping till.

The mind boggles.

any update?

Nah, I forgot I was not around Monday and Tuesday (training today from 9.30-5.00 and again tomorrow, so can't really make any calls)

So am not going to get to call till Wednesday. Will let you know that they say.

Any news on this Manda?

The lady she was speaking to was to get back to her either way, lets hope she knows more by today!

Back