Witholding rent/service charge

Gordanus

I recently moved into new premises and the experience was a mess, due to the incompetence of the estate agents/building management. I've asked for compensation but they refuse to discuss it. Now my next rent and service charge are due; they say they won't talk unless I pay, but I'm inclined to deduct a months rent in my payment as compensation. Would it be ok to do so or should I pay in full and continue the hassle which looks neverending at this stage 3 months on? I''d be grateful for your opinions.

Don't know if askaboutbusiness or askaboutlaw is more relevant.

Last edited:
I had an annoying dispute with my landlord over some small things but lots of them. Took advice at the time coz felt like witholding everything untill things were sorted. The advice to me was very clear. Argue over service charge until the cows come home but rent is cast in stone and unless you have a get out clause you have to pay.
I separated my rent and s.c. payments and then I witheld my s.c. for over a year before I got satisfaction.

Don't mess with rent!

Some leases include SC in the definition of "rent" and, as such, if you don't pay SC it will trigger all the same nasty stuff that withholding rent will. It depends on the language of the lease. It's a really difficult situation as the LL seems to hold all the power. It'll come down to commercial realities in the end - presumably the LL wants to hold on to a tenant in the current economic climate...

Sprite

Did you think of asking your solicitor concerning the terms o the lease ??

Back