Witholding numbers.

liaconn

Just arising from a thread in another area of AAM, I was just wondering if other people find it annoying when people withold their number when ringing you for no good reason? And do you answer such calls or let them leave a message?

Jfind it annoying when people withold their number when ringing you for no good reason?

Is it not just a question though that they have their phones registered generally as 'ex-directory' rather than singling out individual calls?

Are they ringing you for no good reason, or witholding their number for no good reason? :D

I don't answer 'unknown' or 'withheld' numbers.
If it's important, they'll leave me a message.
If not, then meh.

My home phone is ex-directory as I used to get phone calls at home from clients and the guards evenings and weekends before I went ex. At least I can switch off the mobile. So when I phone someone it says number private or withheld. Sometimes people don't answer, which I understand, and then I ring on my mobile (which is not withheld).

My landline and mobile telephone "private" numbers are Ex-Directory. I dont want anybody enquiring of my private telephone numbers as I like to enjoy some privacy after working hours. I make no apologies for this.

I don't answer 'unknown' or 'withheld' numbers either. As I live abroad it is cheaper for my relatives and friends in Ireland to phone me using Skype which always shows up as 'Private Number'. In this case they always SMS me first to expect a call.

I don't bother witholding my number when I use my mobile. I don't mind answering it if a number is withheld, the only private number ringing my mobile is the wifes, must ask her why her number is witheld by the way!

I don't answer withheld numbers on my own mobile or the one starting with 021 which calls me every few months. I don't withhold my number either.

I do answer all calls to my work mobile but not after 7pm.

[curmudgeon] I remember when you never knew who was calling every time the phone rang and you always answered. [/curmudgeon]

[curmudgeon] I remember when you never knew who was calling every time the phone rang and you always answered. [/curmudgeon]

Yeah, and it was awful because you didn't have time to think of an excuse as to why you weren't at their party or didn't want to get involved in the resident's association or you got stuck talking to your most garrulous friend when your favourite programme was about to start.

Now, you can look at the name and think 'uh oh. I'll call them later' or 'yeah, they're just ringing to get that address I promised them. I'll answer that one".

Witholding numbers just annoys me.

Last night, my wife didn't answer a call from her sister cos it was showing 'Blocked'. So the sister left a message leaving my wife having to call her back and pick up the cost of the conversation, just cos her sister is antsy about her number.

There should be something in the phone OS to allow the number to be set to someone tagged in your Contacts.

Yeah, and it was awful because you didn't have time to think of an excuse as to why you weren't at their party or didn't want to get involved in the resident's association or you got stuck talking to your most garrulous friend when your favourite programme was about to start.

Now, you can look at the name and think 'uh oh. I'll call them later' or 'yeah, they're just ringing to get that address I promised them. I'll answer that one".

I'm just happy someone wants to talk to me. Especially those nice Indian men who keep calling me on behalf of Microsoft.

Witholding numbers just annoys me.

Last night, my wife didn't answer a call from her sister cos it was showing 'Blocked'. So the sister left a message leaving my wife having to call her back and pick up the cost of the conversation, just cos her sister is antsy about her number.

There should be something in the phone OS to allow the number to be set to someone tagged in your Contacts.

My sister witholds her number and it does my head in. There is no reason for it, she is not being stalked by anyone, or plagued by work calls out of hours or anything like that. Really annoying.

A friend of mine has her phone set to withhold her number as standard, but I got her to enter my number in her contacts with the 'reveal' code input before my number, so her details are automatically displayed when she rings me. Works well.

For a mobile:
If number is routinely displayed, the prefix #31# hides it on a once off basis.
If number is routinely withheld, the prefix *31# displays it on a once off basis.

For a landline:
If number is routinely displayed, the prefix 141 hides it on a once off basis.
If number is routinely withheld (ex-directory), the prefix 142 displays it on a once off basis.

Back