Withdrawing Income From A PRSA

H

Heretix

Hi all.

If I set up a PRSA, can I withdraw income from it at any time before I am of pensionable age if I need to some/all of the money back for e.g. a future emergency?

Or - when I contribute, is it locked in until I am of pensionable age.

Thank you!

A PRSA is a Personal Retirement Savings Account.

Funds cannot be accessed until you retire - and at this point you must take all benefits at the same time

See this link for further info

Can you draw down your PRSA AVC before you take your occupational pension?

What I'm thinking about is somebody who retires early but opts to delay taking their occupational pension until normal retirement age because they don't want to suffer a reduction in it for drawing it down early.

Can they take money out of their PRSA for a couple of years before their occupational pension kicks in?

Does anybody know where I'd find these rules? All I can find on the Revenue website is one sentence in their guide to PRSAs, as follows:

"There are restrictions which prevent a PRSA contributor from indirectly obtaining the benefit of PRSA assets before the earliest date for taking benefits."

But what does that mean? How do you "indirectly" obtain benefits? And what are those restrictions?

If you are located in the UK how are you going to open an Irish PRSA?!?

:)

I may be moving to Ireland in the next 12-18 months so I wanted some information in advance.

Thanks for all of the responses.

I agree with you SPC. The inflexibility makes no sense. Withdrawals could be taxed when made. It is true to say that capital gains and income have different tax rates so those sources of assets will be intermingled, making it difficult to set the appropriate tax rate, but I think a workable solution could be implemented.

The UK SIPP suffers from the same inflexibility.

I was hoping that Ireland was a bit more enlightened than the UK :).

Back