Wise Deposit Interest

skjom24

If holding an account with wise they give cashback on money held,, but they subtract the belgium tax at 30%.

Ive seen on reddit recommendations (quotes below) to declare this and that the additional tax would be Irish income tax 52% - (30% already taken)

"If your double taxation treaty allows it, yes you only pay tax on the difference between your taxes and Belgian withholding tax of 30%. In the case of Ireland, that would be 52%, so the balance remaining payable would be 22% of the cashback payments."

"Wise don't call their payments interest payments for good reason. They are called cashback payments. This may enable you to pay a lower rate of tax in your country if deposit interest taxes are lower than income taxes."

"On the Irish tax return form, there is a box where you fill in all foreign interest income earned that year. The next box is how much was withheld by foreign governments with which Ireland has a double taxation treaty which avoids double taxation of interest income. You write in the withheld amount there. You subtract the bottom from the top, the remainder is what you pay income tax at 52% to 55% upon.

You never talk to nor have dealings with the Belgians in this case"
"You offset it against the tax you pay on that interest income in your home country. So if you pay 55% of interest income in tax, then you deduct the 30% which went to the Belgian government and pay the balance 25% to your government. Thus overall you are no worse off."

But i thought this would be treated as DIRT, and ive seen another example where i would need to get the Belgium tax authority to give me back the 15% to bring the withholding tax down to 15% due to double taxation treaty. This itself seems to be quite a difficult thing to do.

i would assume the correct method is that its treated as DIRT ? as its interest gained on an deposit in a EU location, and as its Belgium , the withholding tax is 15% , but given that Wise are taking 30% withholding , it would be up to me to contract the belgium tax authority. And then i need to fill in the form 11 to this effect.
which as i mentioned seems quite difficult to actually achieve

It does talk about interest a lot in their article.
Cashback might just be a marketing term..

Why is Wise paying cashback?

As interest rates have risen, Wise is now starting to generate income from the money you hold with us. It's interest on your money, so we believe it's right to share it with you.

How is cashback calculated?

Wise pays balance cashback each month based on the EUR, GBP and USD you hold in your Wise account. You agree that the cashback rate is variable and that we may change the rate and/or stop paying cashback at any time. For eligible balances held in Wise accounts in December 2023, Wise paid an annualised cashback rate of:

• 2.28% for any EUR
  • 3.31% for any GBP
  • 3.85% for any USD
Wise Europe operates within the tax jurisdiction of Belgium, where cashback is liable for 30% withholding tax.

We deduct this tax and pay it to the Belgian tax authorities before we add the cashback to your account.

Cashback is just a silly marketing term.

I would think this income should be treated as deposit interest.

The proper process is obviously (1) pay full tax in Belgium and then (2) request a part refund from the Belgian authorities and then (3) deduct the tax paid less partial refund against your DIRT liability. But as you correctly said it seems that dealing with the Belgian authorities is difficult. It is a lot easier in most other EU countries who either charge zero to foreign savers or have a simpler refund process via the bank itself.

Back