Wisdom tooth removal & dental costs

Lizard

Hi, my 20 y.o. daughter was quoted 400 euros to have a compacted wisdom tooth removed by an Oral Surgeon! 100 euros for the consultation with the Oral Surgeon. 130 each for 7 fillings; 75 for scale and polish; 50 for x-ray. Help! She does not have a medical card, and we are not covered by any private health insurance.

Is 400 a reasonable price to pay? I was gobsmacked. Are there cheaper surgeons out there, or up North.

Taken from the posting guidelines :

We do not discuss medical issues other than to provide links to support groups and medical forums. We do not allow recommendations for doctors, dentists or medical practitioners generally.

Hey everybody, I'm just new here. Why is this forum called Askaboutmoney if I'm not allowed to discuss money?? I would like to know if the prices I was quoted are correct, or am I being ripped off? And are there cheaper services available?

Lizard.. I just said you can't ask for recommendations.. not discuss the money part!

Hi lizard,
welcome to AAM. I think those prices are about right. I had a molar extracted (with some extraction stitches) last year and it cost E350, X-rays are about 40 - 50, and the fillings are maybe a little more than normal, but it depends on the tooth and the depth and type of filling. Scale and polish is about E85 when I had it done.
My husband always goes up North to have his done and it is cheaper, but to be honest i am too lazy and if you have to get alot done you could be up the north every week for a long time.
Maybe you should have the impacted tooth done down here (purely for convenience and the risk of any post-op complications) and then look up north and get some prices there for the rest of the work.

I dont know if this is of any help but I got a letter from my dentist for me to attend the Dental Hospital for my wisdom teeth extractions. The surgery is preformed by a teaching dental surgeon and is used for learning purposes. I was seen to within a matter of weeks and as far as I can remember ( was at least 6 years ago now!)the cost was minimal compared to attending a private surgeon.

I can't comment on the wisdom tooth but the cost of the fillings seems very dear. I got 4 fillings done last week in Carlow for €65 a filling before PRSI

I go to the dentist in Portugal. With cheap flights it's still really good value and I get a holiday to boot. 350 for a crown. Super.

Folks

These threads have a habit of straying into recommendations for dentists.

Smashbox, thanks for reminding people of the Posting Guidelines.

Brendan

Back