Wireless Surround Sound - help

kmelvin

Hi,

Can someone explain what exactly you get with a wireless surround
sound system, i.e. is each speaker truely wireless (and self powered) or
do I need to plug each speaker into a socket to power it?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I've never seen them in action.

I live in an apartment and don't fancy feeding speaker wires under the
floor. I'd rather have a wireless system where I can place the speakers anywhere I choose.

Thanks for any help you could give.

K

The wireless rear speakers do need to be plugged in to the mains to receive the audio signal and the quality is supposed to be variable at best.
Have you considered something like the Yamha YSP line (one speaker with multi drivers you locate under/over the TV), which will reflect sound off the walls and ceiling and can be configured to give fairly good surround sound effects. All you need to add is a dvd player, although they also recommend a basic subwoofer to be added as well. Would get rid of all the wires and sounds like a great apartment fix. A quick google should give you a lot more information.

tkc's suggestion sounds similar to the bose system, there's a thread about it on AAM if you search for it. It bounces the sound off the walls as well, no wires and no rear speakers. Could be a solution for you.

ad

Thanks guys,

Bose seem to get very mixed reviews.

Either way, the prices are too high.

This Sony system looks reasonable:

[broken link removed]
System/dp/B0009YJD50/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_1/104-2690517-5399111

What do you guys think?

K

Very poor review of the Sony here:
[broken link removed]

This is part of a group test including the Yamaha YSP-800, so take a look at the conclusions on page 2.

As the YSP-800 has now been superceded by the 900, if you shop around or E-bay for second hand or old stock being sold off, you should be able to get it for the same or less than the Sony. Based on all the reviews I've read, to my mind it sounds like the ideal apartment solution (although in fairness I haven't heard it in action). You could add a cheap subwoofer later if you think it needs it.

You could get it from Germany for €486. I got an AV receiver from this crowd paying by wire transfer and saved €500 over Irish retail.
http://www.technikdirekt.de/main/de...eferer=Preissuchmaschine-VKNR_485&language=de

Back