Wireless Signal Home Office

Buddy1977

Hi,

I have attic space over garage converted into home office space. The wireless internet signal from the house does not reach the garage. I have a wired ethernet port which I use in the garage. How do I use this port to set up a wireless system within the garage (is there a wireless adaptor to plug into the port that will create a wireless signal for the garage?)

I have been using hotspot through my laptop for all other printers etc which works fine when laptop is on but would like to habe set up that does not require laptop to be on.

Thanks

Buddy1977 You can use a second Eir router which you can buy these routers on adverts very cheaply. there is link on internet ..google editor sean. he has link how to programme it

where is the other end of that port terminated? you need to plug the other side into your router and then get a wireless access point for the garage.

Ubiquiti make good ones.

Any old router plugged in to that port will allow you broadcast wifi and perhaps give you a few wired ports.

Otherwise, plug a small switch into the exiting LAN port, and then a wireless https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Wireless-Access-Business-WAC104-100UKS/dp/B01LWUJU8H/ref=sxin_10_ac_d_rm?ac_md=1-1-bmV0Z2VhciBhY2Nlc3MgcG9pbnQ%3D-ac_d_rm&cv_ct_cx=access+point&dchild=1&keywords=access+point&pd_rd_i=B01LWUJU8H&pd_rd_r=efffaced-72f6-4e62-8ea1-0e729bddebc4&pd_rd_w=iwoDj&pd_rd_wg=p3nRc&pf_rd_p=17aec670-a34a-456d-b214-b9a882c785b0&pf_rd_r=3JDD0HY6YVTE0G4GY71K&psc=1&qid=1611658678&sr=1-2-fe323411-17bb-433b-b2f8-c44f2e1370d4 (access point) into that. You will then also have a few RJ45 ports you can plug other wired devices into.

There you go

Did this over christmas with an old router I had. Works a treat

There are other methods, including off the shelf repeaters. Chose whichever one suits.

The fact that you already have a wired ethernet port in situ suggests that putting in a spare router/access point is the easiest option.

Unless you really need wireless access, using an Ethernet switch and cables will give much better and consistent results

Yes, I had a wifi extender in the room, which, while it worked, halved the bandwidth. I was getting at best 10mbs.
Now that I've replaced that with a wifi router as an Access Point (cabled back to the eircom router), I am getting up to 30mbs, plus a far greater range, and the added advantage of being able to plug an eithernet cable into it and using that for a working from home desktop.

It's definitely the way to go, if you have an existing cable.

And took all of 20 minutes to set up, based on the beginner instructions in the link above.

Oh, and per jpd above, I needed wireless as the chromecast, xbox etc. was across the room, plus a chromebook that moved around.
so you get the best of both worlds. Wifi plus the ability to plug in eithernet cables into the free eithernet ports in the router/AP, which will be cabled back to the base router.

Reactions: Leo
Yes, I had a wifi extender in the room, which, while it worked, halved the bandwidth. I was getting at best 10mbs.
Now that I've replaced that with a wifi router as an Access Point (cabled back to the eircom router), I am getting up to 30mbs,.......

I think there may be a danger here that people are mixing up speed and bandwidth .
Bandwidth is the quantity of information you receive in a given time, while speed is how fast that is delivered.
While both are measured in bits per second (mbs) they are two totally different 'entities'.

Back