Wireless Security

JMR

I have wireless broadband at home (only wireless within the house).
I was originally with Eircom and have their Netopia router but have since switched to BT.
I still use the same router.
I have never setup a password on the connection and was wondering how to do it.
From my house I can view numerous wireless networks and they are all protected, the fact that mine is the only unprotected one worries me slightly.
Anyone know how to access the router and setup a password?

You need to log into the router. Easiest way is probably (presuming you have windows) to click start and then run. Type cmd and hit OK. When the terminal pops up type: ipconfig and write down the IP number opposite to default gateway under Local Area Connection (probably 192.168.1.254). Open internet explorer and in the address bar type this IP address and hit enter. It may not ask you for a password if you have not already set one up if it does just google the default username and password for a netopia router. Once you are logged in you go to "Wireless" section and click "advanced configuration options". Then under privacy selct one of the encryption standards - I would recommend WPA-PSK but WEP will probably suffice unless you suspect somebody will actively try to break into your system. No need to be too worried about it but you should set a password on your router, if you don't then you leave it open for somebody else to set the password and possibly deny you access to your own wireless link.

Re: Wireless Security - More Help??

I set up wireless security as per portlaire's instructions and all looked fine.
I was asked for a 10 character passphrase. A screen then appeared showing 4 encryption keys with 10 random alphanumeric characters each and I was given the option of using 1 to 4.
Default was 1, so I left it as it was.
Problem is that now when I try to access the internet and it asks for a password, my 'passphrase' from above does not work!
Is it the case that the passphrase is only used to generate the 4 encryption keys and it is this encryption key that I must remember and enter when accessing the internet?
If so, is there some way to reset it because I didn't take a note of these keys and now cannot access the router due to the security
All help appreciated

Either
1. Connect to router using ethernet cable
or
2. Look for a tiny hole at back of router; sticking a pin in it will reset it.

Is it the case that the passphrase is only used to generate the 4 encryption keys and it is this encryption key that I must remember

Yes. Try this site - enter your pass phrase and use the generated key as the WEP key when connecting to your wireless network.

Alternatively, does your DSL modem have a network port? If so, you can plug your computer directly in to that and then reconnect to management interface as described by portlaire and regenerate the keys.

Finally there probably a button at the back of the device to reset to factory settings.

(Post crossed)

Either
If I connect directly will I not need the encryption key?
2. Look for a tiny hole at back of router; sticking a pin in it will reset it.
Will this perform a total factory reset? Don't really want the hassle of setting the bloody thing up from scratch again

Am I right in my assumption that it was looking for the randomly generated 10 character string rather than my easily remembered passphrase?

Thanks

If I connect directly will I not need the encryption key?

No key needed for wired connection.

Will this perform a total factory reset? Don't really want the hassle of setting the bloody thing up from scratch again

Yes, everything will be reset and you'll have to start from scratch.

Am I right in my assumption that it was looking for the randomly generated 10 character string rather than my easily remembered passphrase?

Yes.

Another solution is to select wpa(psk) encryption while connected by ethernet cable.You then enter a series of numbers and letters which you have to remember to establish a wireless connection.Wpa is much more secure.

Back