Wireless Router

Wiggles

Does anyone know if it is possible to use a wireless router with an ISDN connection.

Need some way to make the ISDN connection dial if traffic is passed to the router??

Clubman any ideas?? :)

You need to be carefull with ISDN since you pay per call.

You might find that whatever device you have on the inside of the ISDN connection is misconfigured and every x minutes (or even once a day) triggers a call over ISDN. This is a bad thing.

In the old days when people used ISDN for backup links (whereas they now mostly go for DSL) I came across a lot of customers who faced huge ISDN bills because their router was busy bringing up the connection every minute.

I'm not saying ISDN isn't suitable, just be carefull and ensure that any changes you make to the config of the wireless router don't have a nasty side effect.

z

Just to say that it's typically when a 'dial on demand' connection is configured, something on the LAN side of the router (Windows update, Internet time synchronisation, malware, etc.) might start generating traffic. To be on the safe side, just unplug when not in use. Best firewall I know of.

Thanks for the info.

The I.T. section here is better than Micro$oft knowledge base! :)

I have an ISDN connection at my home office. I also have a laptop with wireless capabilities. Normally I connect my laptop to ISDN via a wired connection.

Having read the above, I would be interested to know any recommendations for wireless ISDN routers.

All you have to do is get a wireless hub and connect that in to the ISDN box (try www.elara.ie or www.komplett.ie). There is likely to be some configuration of the hub to fit with your environment, but what exactly will depend on the default settings of the hub and your environment. Pay attention to the dial on demand issues mentioned already in this thread and be sure to secure access to the hub - you don't want your neighbours running up your ISDN bill.

ISDN is a digital phone service (not limited to phone services though) that can deliver better quality and faster data than ordinary anolog lines. ADSL is an implementaion of DSL that is faster in one direction than the other. DSL is high speed data protocol for the "last mile" of the analog telephone service.

Back