Wireless router

slookie

Hi all,
I have done a search but to no avail, so all help appreciated.
I recently got broadband installed with Munster broadband - wireless. The connection is upstairs, however I want to move the pc downstairs. I know I have to get a wireless router and also a usb key for the pc to make it wireless. Aswell as this I have a laptop that i want to be able to use all over the house. I was told to get an n or N+ router. Would this be right - it is a big enough house -about 3000 sq feet if this matters. Could anyone put me on the right track as to where to ge one, best brand etc.

Thanks

The Belkin N+ router should meet your requirements (I believe Belkin are the best brand). They also sell the wireless usb adaptor.

Cheers, any idea of best place to purchase. Maplin were about €150. Was hoping to get cheaper?

I've picked up several wireless routers (some with integrated broadband modems too) for as little as €15 on www.adverts.ie (Computer Hardware FS forum).

i just compared; the best value N Wireless router seems to be on ebay (buy it now option).

And yes..the size of your house does matter. My house is about 2300 sq ft; and my G plus router (belkin) barely reaches some parts.
Also the composition of your walls & especially your upper level floors matter. Concrete floors would have an impact.
But the Belkin N1 would be the best option; also good for some improved bandwith future proofing

I've used Linksys routers for years and am impressed with them. I have heard enough anecdotal bad stories about Belkin routers that I would personally never buy one, but those are just anecdotes. My favourite is the Linksys WRT54G -- its current incarnation is 45 EUR on [broken link removed] (who I have also used many times and never had a problem. Elara seem good too). If you want a cheaper router, the equivalent Belkin wireless router with 4-port switch is 29 EUR on komplett. (I have no connection with any of these companies).

House construction can affect the reach of your wireless network. If you run into problems, you can run cabling and install additional wireless access points. Or, much simpler, you can run a network extender over your house's electric cabling, providing an ethernet connection in another room either for plugging in a PC directly, or adding a wireless access point.

Still haven't purchased a router as I wasn't sure which one would suit. So I e-mailed the provider asking them which one I should get. I was told "The best option is to purchase a wireless router that has PPPoE capability". Does this make sense to anyone. Also it has to be "N" range as it is a big house plus concrete floors upstairs.

PPPoE stands for "Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet". PPP was a protocol developed for old-style dialup connections, and PPPoE was a version suitable for Wide Area Networks. It's basically the protocol commonly used over ADSL -- the broadband technology you'd have if you were getting it over your phone line and using an ADSL modem -- and some wireless providers. Many/most routers will support this -- just check the specs. You may want to check (you should be able to see from your current PC setup) that your provider just needs a username and password to connect using PPPoE -- I've heard anecdotes about providers that need more than this and which might not be accommodated by a standard router.

Argos would be cheaper than say pc world for your router. I bought the fastest one They had N1 mimo. Pretty impressive DL/UL speeds. Had a tiny bit of trouble when it went down one time (was trying to over complicate the problem) but sorted it out again hasn't let me down since. Money well spent.

Some help needed. I have NTL bb and when I asked them about getting wireless, the guy kindly said it would be cheaper if I just bought my own router. Simple qestion is this easy to do, not mega technical but not afraid to have a go. Ta

I'd have to recommendthe Lynksys WRT54G as suggested above. Try Ebay, you'll pick up a second hand one for around 30E all in (That would be my limit).

I've had a few Belkin routers and repeaters pass through my hands over the years and wouldn't recommend them to anybody. Reason being because the dont like to play nice with wireless devices made by other manufacturers. Also, I've found their instruction manuals to be of little use in that they are hard to make any sense of, even as someone who knows the terminology.

Bear in mind that you cant use the Lynksys WRT54G to connect directly to NTL BB, you'll have to use it in conjunction with the one provided by NTL.

Why not get home plugs ?

http://www.homeplugs.co.uk/

Plug your router into one upstairs the other half where you want your PC.

I use them in my house - the router is downstairs and we have an apple airport (wireless router) plugged into the other half in our bedroom.

I have seen them in Lidl for 50 euro but had already got mine in PC World for I thinkk 80 euro.

pm

Back