Wireless router from BT/ no ethernet connection

hattrick_12a

Got my wireless router there the other day from BT, but I was not aware that it did not come with a USB connection. It only has the ethernet connection. My PC does not have an Ethernet connection.

Is this the case with all Wireless Routers (i.e. no USB connection). Any reccomendations if there is any?

If this is the case, looks like I will have to use my old providers router with BT settings to get my PC with no Ethernet connection connected to the internet.

Any advice on installing an Ethernet connection internal/external on my PC?

Can I set up the wireless router using my laptop, which has an ethernet connection, and once that is set up will the WR work wirelessly for the same laptop once I disconnect it from the ethernet cable.

Any advice on installing an Ethernet connection internal/external on my PC?

Buy an ethernet card from Maplin, Peat's, PC World or the equivalent.

Can I set up the wireless router using my laptop, which has an ethernet connection, and once that is set up will the WR work wirelessly for the same laptop once I disconnect it from the ethernet cable.

Yes, provided your laptop has a properly configured wireless networking card.

What extopia said above is all good..

Yes it should; you could also buy a [broken link removed] (€39.99) for your PC instead of an [broken link removed] (€20); then you would be able to connect both the laptop and PC wirelessly

For configuring the router from the PC you will most likely need a wired ethernet connection so an ethernet card will be required at least when doing admin stuff.

Can I set up the wireless router using my laptop, which has an ethernet connection...

OP has an ethernet connection already on the laptop and this should do for configuration ... ;)

Incidently hattrick_12a, I've never seen an external network card (for a PC) so it will have to be an internal one (like in my link earlier) that you'll have to get if going for the wired option for the PC.

OP has an ethernet connection already on the laptop and this should do for configuration ... ;)
Sorry - missed that.
Incidently hattrick_12a, I've never seen an external network card (for a PC) so it will have to be an internal one (like in my link earlier) that you'll have to get if going for the wired option for the PC.
Not necessarily - for example.

So that means I have to install a [broken link removed] to get my PC working with the BT wireless router.

Can anyone confirm if there is a wireless router out there with a USB connection, so I won't have to install the [broken link removed]. Don't fancy doing this as I would not be that confident. Is installing the [broken link removed] straight forward? can someone advise...

Don't fancy the [broken link removed] at the minute. Not a requirement at the minute. thanks for the advice.

Can you configure your Wireless router from a laptop connected wirelessly??

Didn't think there would be an external but don't fancy installing the [broken link removed].

Thanks all

Is installing the [broken link removed] straight forward? can someone advise...
Most likely yes especially if you are running XP - turn off and islolate your PC from the mains, install the card in a spare PCI slot, plug back in and switch on and your PC will most likely recognise the card. At worst you may need to also install the drivers that come with the card. Should be no hassle.
Can you configure your Wireless router from a laptop connected wirelessly??
You can configure some things but not others - e.g. settings that might temporarily close off wireless access or when applying firmware upgrades. Normally it's best to configure the wireless router using a wired connection to be safe.

Could I just get one of [broken link removed]. It offers around 54Mbps, I think. And as my Broadband would only be 1Mbps with a contention ratio reducing that, I would still be getting the Max amount of speed out of the broadband. Is this a possible solution here as this would be somewhat more straight forward than a [broken link removed] as there would be no opening up the PC. What are the disadvantages?

How fast is USB? Does that limit the 54Mbps?

I am just trying to find all my solutions that are available to me.

Thanks

Also, Would anyone reccomend sitting beside a Wireless Router that is beside your PC while you work on your PC most of the time??

And as my Broadband would only be 1Mbps with a contention ratio reducing that, I would still be getting the Max amount of speed out of the broadband.

The 54Mbs speed refers to the transmission between your wireless router and the USB dongle; the 1Mbps speed your broadband supplier quotes is the speed from the exchange to the socket on your wall; yes is the answer to your question.

Is this a possible solution here as this would be somewhat more straight forward than a [broken link removed] as there would be no opening up the PC. What are the disadvantages?
Go for the USB; they both do the same thing and the USB adapter is a lot easier to install

How fast is USB? Does that limit the 54Mbps?
It doesn't make a difference, lets just say it's fast enough ;)

Back