Wireless printing without wi-fi

Carnmore

Is it possible to print from an iPhone and Mac to a wireless printer without wifi?

The printer is a Canon MX535

I'm not particularly tech-minded but unless the devices have Bluetooth, how would they communicate without a WiFi network?

That printer has Bluetooth and USB connections as well as WiFi. There is a Canon app that lets you print over Bluetooth. (Source: Google).

The MX535 has WiFi and USB and BlueTooth is enabled via an optional adapter IIRC. You can also output to a USB stick plugged into the printer (or the Mac) rather than to paper.

From the iPhone, activate the Personal HotSpot (Home Screen/Settings/Personal Hotspot/On) on your iPhone and connect the printer (and optionally your Mac) to it ("it" being the wireless network you have just created with the iPhone as your server/router). With a smartphone you always have your own local WiFi

From the iPhone, activate the Personal HotSpot (Home Screen/Settings/Personal Hotspot/On) on your iPhone and connect the printer (and optionally your Mac) to it ("it" being the wireless network you have just created with the iPhone as your server/router). With a smartphone you always have your own local WiFi

The phone then becomes the WLAN? Can the phone be used for printing while in hotspot mode or only the Mac?

I presume it will, like other apps, if you allow the printer's software to search for and install updates.

Or you can do it manually from the Mac :- Apple Menu/System Preferences.../Printers & Scanners/(select printer in L/H panel)/Print button - Options & Supplies .../Utility button/Open Printer Utility button. This brings up the utility options which are manufacturer specific so I can't show the Canon options. HTH

Back