Wireless printer connection?

E

ED70

My wireless ADSL router (BT) is located downstairs beside my phone point. With a printer upstairs is there any wireless product that i can get so i can print from my laptop (wireless) downstairs or does the printer have to be connected to the wireless router.

Many thanks

ED70

Others will doubtless correct me but fwiw I think you may need either a printer server (box with a wireless receiver point for, say, a USB network card that you connect to the printer) or a network printer (printer with wireless accessiblity built in). You're unlikely to have this latter unless you bought an upscale/all-dancing printer.

Thinking about this remote printing scenario myself so would be glad to see what others say...

Yup, above is correct, you need some form of wireless print server. If your printer has an ethernet (network) port, a more generic wireless ethernet bridge, or wireless game adaptor (for xbox/playstation) should also do the job. Note that generally if you have an all in one printer scanner, the scanning doesn't work with the wireless.

Many thanks for your advice. i am thinking of getting the D-link wireless printer server . Approx €90 in pcworld but I'm sure I can get it cheaper online

ED70

Getting one myself.

Here are some from Dabs -

Note not all printers are compatible with a wireless print server - have a look at the spec for the NetGear one.

NetGear is most expensive but seems to be the best.

I have a ZyXel wireless router already.

I can get a new HP Photosmart 2575 All-in-one for the same price as a wireless print server. This printer has an ethernet port.

Couldn't I just connect the printer to the router using a Cat5 cable and then print to the printer from a laptop using the wireless connection?

Will this work? Will the laptop pick up the printer?

Yes, should work. Only disadvantage is that you phone connection, modem and printer will all need to be in the same location (or have cables running).

That's ok. They are all in the same room.

How do I add the printer to the laptop since it is only connected wirelessly to the router and the printer is connected to the router by cable?

My wireless ADSL router (BT) is located downstairs beside my phone point. With a printer upstairs is there any wireless product that i can get so i can print from my laptop (wireless) downstairs or does the printer have to be connected to the wireless router.

Many thanks

ED70
Argos stock a belkin wireless printer adapter but you will need either an internal wireless card or external usb adapter on the computer end, which they also stock. The printer can be connected via usb or ethernet don`t know how good it is though. anyone know?

Greennew,

Know about these. Cost around €100.

Can get a new all-in-one printer with an ethernet port for the same money.

I have a desktop and two laptops. Will connect the new printer by Cat5 cable to the router.

Two laptops connect wirelessly to the network.

What I'm trying to find out is if I connect the printer to the router by Cat5 will the laptops pick up this printer?

I don't have a network setup i.e. when using the laptop I cannot access files on the desktop.

Do I need to have this setup first?

Back