Wireless Network with Dialup Internet

Bootdog

I need to set up a wireless network for a relative with the following setup:
1. existing desktop with dialup modem (NO BROADBAND)
2. new laptop which should share the existing dialup internet connection

I know how to set up a wireless network with security etc., but have only done this with broadband before - what do I need to set up shared dialup internet access for both PCs above?

Is there a dialup modem available which could be connected to the wireless router and manually turned on whenever PC or laptop needs to use the internet?

Secondly, would the likes of Onspeed be compatible with such a setup?

Dunno how it works with a dial-up networking situation but the Internet Connection Sharing facility of Windows should help some way. Would it not be an option to run a cable to the new laptop from the phone line (i.e. a phone line extension)?

I know how to set up a wireless network with security etc., but have only done this with broadband before - what do I need to set up shared dialup internet access for both PCs above?
I've done this before (well - to share an ISDN connection) by installing a PCI or USB wireless network adaptor in the desktop and enabling Windows Internet Connection Sharing allowing it to share the internet connection with the laptop with the two computers connected on an ad-hoc wireless networking basis. With this sort of setup it's possible to have either the desktop or the laptop cause the dial-up connection to be initiated on demand. One downside is that for the laptop to share the connection the desktop must be switched on.
Is there a dialup modem available which could be connected to the wireless router and manually turned on whenever PC or laptop needs to use the internet?
I've never seen one myself.
I presume so but what I've read about it suggests that it's not really up to much.

How about looking at the Airport Extreme ? It has an integrated 56K V.90 modem.

Onspeed appears to be a decompressing client allied with a compressing proxy server - is this correct? Or does it just use gzip on the client and a gzipping proxy server? In any case, using a modem wirelessly shouldn't affect it.

Thanks for the quick replies, the airport thing looks the business, no doubt it has a price-tag to match the features. I'll need to have a chat with the end-user to see which setup they would prefer - most likely a cheap wired & wireless router and internet connection sharing (with the desktop running whenever the laptop accesses the internet)

I checked out Onspeed in the meantime, and its one account for one computer, so probably not worth it for 2 machines. Uses a proxy (compressing) server alright, with decompressing software on the client PC.

the airport thing looks the business, no doubt it has a price-tag to match the features.

After posting about it, I saw that it wasn't listed on the Apple Store, and discovered:

The Airport Extreme base station product line was discontinued by Apple in the European Union from 30 June 2006, citing non-compliance with the Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_AirPort

Not content with trying to ban sausages and bendy bananas, now the eurocrats go after avant-garde pricey networking equipment :mad: . Is nothing sacred?

Back