Wireless connection to printer

Solutions

I have a wireless connection to the internet, and would like to also have a wireless connection to my printer, but how? What equipment is needed and is it very technical?

This is not a Homes and Gardens query so has been moved.

What printer make and model?

A Google for wireless printing should give you an idea of what the options are.

Something like an 802.11 wireless to serial/parallel (e.g. USB) adaptor might be one option.

You can get a wireless print server. We're currently testing one in the office and it seems to work quite well

Browsing through the Argos catalog at the weekend and they seem to ahve a good range, and if they have a good range you can be sure most of the high street IT shops will as well.
When you say wireless connection to the internet, do you mean you have a wireless ISP or do you ahve a wireless router running in your house? If you want to wirelessly connect to a printer, youll need wireless network in your house.

Yes, a wireless print server or wireless USB adaptor is probably what you're looking for. Beware if you have a printer/scanner, apparently the printer works fine with these, but not the scanning.

You can now get wireless printers like the Canon Pixma IP5200R printer that do not need a wireless print server or wireless USB adaptor.

Thanks guys,

Now have a new associated problem, I have a wireless network and want to add an additional PC to my secured network at home but cannot find the password to the secured network, where is this to be found?

It's configured on the router but chances are that it will not be displayed to you in the clear so if you can't remember it then you'll need to configure a new one and reconfigure each PC/laptop that uses the network. Check the admin control panel for your router normally accessible through a web browser connected to the device.

Back