Wireless access to home ADSL connection

D

demoivre

Hi,
I have UTV clicksilver broadband in my house. What is the best and most effective wireless equipment to use so that I can go online with my laptop from any room in the house? I'm running Windows XP, SP2.

Title edited by ClubMan.

Re: Wireless broadband at home.

You should look at the A-List in PC Pro or some other PC magazine for a wireless Access Point & Router recommendation. If your laptop doesn't have built in wireless you'll need a PCMCIA wireless card also.

Wireless Router

I using a [broken link removed] router for the last six months at home with no problems. Cost me €130 in Harvey Norman, but think it's now on special at €99.

I set this one up for a friend recently

Netgear DG834 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Firewall Router. 4xENet.

€93,46 + vat

[broken link removed]

Does the job grand so far.

Re: ..

Note that "wireless broadband" normally means broadband delivered without wires (e.g. 802.11 or some variant, WiMax, satellite etc.) whereas what we are talking about here is wireless LAN access to a single wired (ADSL) broadband connection - i.e. the wireless aspect is internal to the LAN and not relevant to broadband delivery to the property.

Re: ..

Thanks for the replies and yes Clubman that is exactly what I mean.

router

depending on how much money you want to spend try elara for wireless routers and pcmcia cards and you could easily come in under 100 euro. the alternative to the pcmcia cards are "wireless usb network adaptors" so search the catalogs of the various computer shops to price them. Theyre normally about the same price as the cards, down side is they take a bit extra space, the plus is that you can use them with a laptop and a PC. (Assuming you have a USB slot).
Other shops to try are
[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]
peats
or even go to boards and pick up something S/H in the shop.
That pcsmart shop at the top of capel street are selling 25 CD-Rs for 7e which is the best price Ive seen around at the mo.

Re: router

Saw 50 CDR's for €12.99 in Aldi last thursday.

50 cdrs

Saw 50 CDR's for €12.99 in Aldi last thursday.
And thats why we have this forum. Nice one.

Thanks to all for the replies - most helpful info. provided, looking forward to getting this set up at home.

Aghh, why did I not see these an hour ago. I paid 9.99 for 25 cdr in Maplins and Aldi only around the corner on Parnell St.

CDRs

Best value CDRs I've found to date is online at SVP

Also have some great deals on drives and accesories.

However, you need to be buying in bulk to cover the shipping cost.

Back