Wiper broken off in car wash.

Northerngirl

During a drive-in car wash yesterday, my back window wiper was broken off completely. The garage owner was apologetic and offered to have it repaired with a mechanic he knows next week. Should I trust the garage owner to have it repaired in a garage of his choice, or should I insist on taking it to somewhere of my choice, namely a Opel dealer that might have a more suitable replacement? Any advice greatly appreciated, as this is my first car and am not very au fait with car repairs, garages, etc;..

Sounds like you are lucky that the garage owner cared! I'd let him get it fixed. After all its a fairly basic peice of the car.

Fair play to the garage owner, usually theres a disclaimer up regarding damage to vehicles in car washes - I'd keep with it while you're still ahead.

It's a judgement question - the replacement of a wiper is fairly easy (can be expensive though) and you will not find any difference between an Opel part and a motor factor part (except price, Opel being more expensive). Sounds like the garage owner is an upfront sort of person, so it boils down to whether you feel that you can enforce a request for an Opel wiper and whether asking for it would cause him to withdraw his offer to rectify the matter.

I'd thank my lucky stars the garage owner gave a damn and get him to repair it. End of.

shouldnt have broken in the car wash. usually aerials have to be removed. I would let him do it. he will do it for half the price you can get and as he's offering to fix it I'd let him.

Thanks guys, my gut feeling was to go along with garage owner as he seemed genuinely apologetic, however I heard a guy in the shop say 'it was the second one today', and the car wash machine seemed quite rough - shaking the car, then lifting off the wiper - this shouldnt happen, however will let the guy fix it and see how it turns out..

Firstly, your lucky he has offered to repair it.

Secondly, Above is one reason why I avoid car washes, the other is that it is my opinion that they are by and large responsible for increasing the speed at which your cars paint corodes.

They put enormous stresses on the paintwork etc of your car (look for sworls, circular abrasive marks in the paintwork on a sunny day) these are evidence that the car has been through car washes, all the wax in the world wont repair them.

Point is, it may be a pain in the butt, but persevere with a hose down, sponge off heavy dirt, re hose down, lather up and final hose down (even dare i say it a home power washer set on a low power setting) and you will keep your car gleaming for years with far less obvious paintwork damage.

best of luck with the wiper.

Firstly, your lucky he has offered to repair it.

Secondly, Above is one reason why I avoid car washes, the other is that it is my opinion that they are by and large responsible for increasing the speed at which your cars paint corodes.

They put enormous stresses on the paintwork etc of your car (look for sworls, circular abrasive marks in the paintwork on a sunny day) these are evidence that the car has been through car washes, all the wax in the world wont repair them.

Point is, it may be a pain in the butt, but persevere with a hose down, sponge off heavy dirt, re hose down, lather up and final hose down (even dare i say it a home power washer set on a low power setting) and you will keep your car gleaming for years with far less obvious paintwork damage.

best of luck with the wiper.

Thanks Morpheus for advice, first and last time to use a car wash. I guess its out with the bucket and hose!!

Back