Winter Solstice At Newgrange, what time?

ci1

just wondering has anyone visited there on 21st December & what is the best time to go?

I have been saying for years now that I would like to go but never got round to it. Am only living 30 mins away from it now and deffo want to go next week.

But I've heard that thousands of people go and was wondering how early we should get there?
Don't want to go and not be able to see anything.

thanks

I thought that you had to book to visit during solstices and equinoxes?

Yes. Not sure about current waiting times but have heard in the past that sometimes people have had to wait a few years in order to see this.

However, worth checking anyway. Your diary should give you sunrise times for the 21st - that's when you need to be there. I've heard people usually show up from about 3:00 am.

(BTW unless it's a fairly clear morning you won't see anything special)

Last edited:
You can't even book, they do a lottery every year for people to go down into the chamber and be there when its illuminated by the sun.

Other than that you can stand outside and there is a roofbox that the sun shines in through and lights the chamber.

Apparantly the whole energy and atmosphere of lots of people waiting on the sun to rise is amazing, just want to go out of curiousity really.

Even if you are not lucky enough in the lottery you can go at any other time of the year and get a similar effect with the artificial light that mimics the real thing. We were there in September and it was spectacular.
I know it's not the same, but it's still worth the time it takes to get there from the visitor centre and, probably to queue to actually get into the tomb.

About 8am
I would like to go there too but am unsure how close you can get to the chamber-- about a hundred people go just to stand outside-- you need to apply for a ticket to go inside the chamber--and there is a lottery for a few spare tickets for ordinary mortals--but you can also apply for a ticket to go the days before and after--and I imagine the weather yest and today would be wonderful in the chamber.
I go to Lough Crew and there is always a number of people up there from about 8am--the sun has come over the horizon about three times in 7 years... such a glorious sight!!-- BEATS the christmas madness hands down any time!!... and takes you into a new year of "light"-- also if you're near Kildare Arus Bride celebrates the winter solstice on this thursday 8pm-- (arusbride.ie) That should be an awakening of sorts-- they celebrate the sun and light for the new year...
Dont know if anyone goes to top of Carrowkeel. Co Sligo??
GO FOR IT !!!

As the previous poster just said, you can go and stand outside the tomb on the 21st, you just won't be able to go inside. However I've been told that the atmosphere outside the tomb is sometimes almost as good. That the sight of the sun rising over the valley and illuminating the quartz on the front of the tomb is spectacular. Definatley worth getting out of bed for!

the winter solstice on this thursday 8pm

You won't see much at 8pm. It'll be pitch dark

Take it you mean 8am

BTW, that site arusbride.ie brings me [broken link removed]

You mightn't see anything but the general atmoshphere is just great. Have seen the solstice myself and when we came out of the tomb everyone on the outside seemed just as excited as myself!

Thanks for all the posts!

Drove up last night to make sure I know where I'm going so the alarm is set for Friday morning.

every morning this week the sky has been really clear so hopefully it will be on Friday too.

Merry Xmas everyone!!

For those who can't get to Newgrange, I read today that there will be a webcast on [broken link removed] on 21st and 22nd December.

Back