wine for a wedding where to get a good deal ?

coleen

A family member is having a wedding in August and want to buy wine for a crowd of 300. Can anyone recommend where would be a good place in Ireland to get a deal. Also how much to buy and how much red and how much white? What price point should they aim for that would be considered good for a wedding. all advice welcome

Re: wine for a wedding where do get good deal ?

specials in uk supermarkets best option.
summer, white will prob sell better

sav blanc for the white,
oz red

pay no more than £5.50 per bottle. half bottle per person seeing as many wont drink

Hi you are best to go to France or find someone that is going & knows their stuff. You could pick up a nice sancerre or poully fume for approx €6 per bottle & some decent red from bordeaux for about €5. Alterntively go to the North or the UK. Ireland in general is a rip off althought keep an eye out for offers in M&S. The sometimes have 25% off and you get another 10% on orders of 6 bottles. I would buy half red and half white and go for 1/2 a bottle per person with a few extras. This is what was recommeded to me when I was getting married and it worked out ok.

The Tierra Del Sol Cabernet Sauvignon Reserva and Sauvignon Blanc Reserva from Aldi are excellent wines and are €9.99 per bottle. (They're well ahead of the ordinary Tierra Del Sol which is about €6.99 per bottle).

You'll get about 4 ordinary glasses from a bottle. You'll need to figure out how many wine drinkers (not children, etc.) you'll have and calculate accordingly. Don't forget to allow for at least one top up.

Not sure where you are but there's also a company here in Cork called Bubble Brothers who might also be able to solve your problem. Link below.

Whoever you deal with, make sure you can return what's not used.

http://www.bubblebrothers.com/

Hi you are best to go to France or find someone that is going & knows their stuff. You could pick up a nice sancerre or poully fume for approx €6 per bottle & some decent red from bordeaux for about €5.

tesco up north have offer on at the minute.

FORGET

Just in terms of quantites - red/white.

My experience is 1/3 red to 2/3 white.

Maybe my friends are just easy whitesers!

mf

Got good deals in Asda Enniskillen last time I was there. Wine ( a Lindemans) costing 8.79euro in Dunnes was 3 for 10ukp there - less than 4euro a bottle at an exchange rate around 88p. On my last trip a few weeks ago I got a chilean red merlot on same deal - was 8.79 ish in Tesco down here when I was in there one day.

Check their online site before you go. What I did was register for internet shopping with a Belfast postcode. This allowed me to login and see their specials.

Hi,
I used [email protected] for my wedding in 2007. They gave me list of french wines and suggested matchs for our courses. Very good value and it takes the guesswork out,.

I have no interest in this business.

Austin

Irish Ferries do a 'booze cruise' for alcohol tourists- you get something like 8 hours in France to load up the car and then straight back on again. It's pretty cheap. I think you can go over now on a return trip for something like 199 offpeak ( warning though- not sure this includes a cabin and wouldnt include a trailer ).

You would get really good quality wine in France for the same price as a cheap plonk here in the Republic- really you could buy a fresh muscadet for 2/3 per bottle, if you're looking for the sancerres/bordeaux prepare to pay 5/6 per bottle but at these prices it would be really quite nice. If you do some research and try to time it with a 'foire aux vins' ( wine fair) in one of the supermarkets you can get great deals. For reds the skys the limit. Champagne that would retail 40/50 per bottle here can be got for 25/30.

It's a bit of hassle though, I wouldn't be keen on doing the booze cruise myself, prefer to take a week and have a break at same time. Depends how important the quality of the wine is to them, if it is really important then I would recommend going to France.

A family member is having a wedding in August and want to buy wine for a crowd of 300. Can anyone recommend where would be a good place in Ireland to get a deal. Also how much to buy and how much red and how much white? What price point should they aim for that would be considered good for a wedding. all advice welcome

Im sure they have already done this but make sure the venue will allow them to provide their own wines and dont charge an unreasonable corkage fee.

We knew someone that owned a restaurant, they ordered it for us through their wine suppliers at warehouse prices, so we got wine €14 in offlicense for €6 a bottle. Even if you dine in a restaurant quite frequently, you could ask them for a favour.

We bought our own wine for our wedding up North a few years ago. We paid about £5 a bottle for it and even with the €6 corkage the hotel was charging we got a far better wine than we would have for the price of the cheapest hotel offering.

Our numbers were about the same as yours and we asked the hotel banquet manager how many bottles he would recommend, he told us 110 bottles and about 60/40 red/white (although it was an Xmas wedding so may be more white if a Summer wedding). He was almost spot on, we went through 104 bottles on the day.

We bought ours in Tescos. They had a big wine sale with the wine being reduced by 33%. The wine we bought ended up costing about €6.20 to €6.50 a bottle.

Sauv Blanc was the white, can't remember which red

We had 120 people attend and bought 8 cases (96 bottles) of wine, 3 red and 5 white. We had 9 bottles remaining after the wedding

We went for Tescos to save the effort of driving up North or going to France. Tescos have this deal on every few months, just keep your eyes open

At the off licence in Culloville, South Armagh for example you can get a few varieties of red & white Yellowtail for €7 - €8. They have a 5% off for any 3 bottles and 10% for any 6 as well - so I'm sure they will do a decent deal for wedding volumes. (No connection to them)

BTW Yellowtail is IMO one of the best wines around for the money.

For crowdpleasing options, Sauvignon Blanc & Merlot I'd say.

We were over in France a couple of months ago and bought a bottle of sauvignon blanc for 2 Euro for cooking. Took a sip, it was gorgeous. Sigh.

We knew someone that owned a restaurant, they ordered it for us through their wine suppliers at warehouse prices, so we got wine €14 in offlicense for €6 a bottle. Even if you dine in a restaurant quite frequently, you could ask them for a favour.

Having sold wine in the past, I can assure you that no wine store in the country has this sort of margin.

€14 retail would equal to approx €8 cost plus VAT (€9.72), maybe a little less if buying huge volumes.

When buying wine, always remember that there's €3 (incl vat) duty on every bottle of wine whether its a €4.99 bottle or a €100 bottle.

For a good wedding I'd recommend looking for something at approx. €15 retail for Red & about €12 for white, which you should be able to get around €12 for red & about €10 for white.

For white, definitely a sauvingnon blanc (new Zealand is great) and for red I'd look for a Vacqueyras - a region next to Chateauneuf Du Pape with wines of similar quality & character but without the premium prices.

The red wine is usually the one remembered as the regular wine driners normally choose red.

Hi,

My friend went to Asda in Enniskillen and filled her car up with wine for her wedding. At the time they were doing that Jacob's creek three pack on special. I can see online at the minute that they are currently doing a three for £10 deal on:

-Andrew Peace Cabernet sauvignon & Australian chardonnay
-Arniston Bay Reef red wine
-Blossom Hill Grenache & Signature Blend -California Red & Pinot grigio delle venezie & Rose
-Dumisani Chenin blanc & Shiraz red
-First Cape Rose & Shiraz Rose
-Lindemans Cabernet Sauvignon
-Jacob's Creek Semillon Chardonnay & Grenache shiraz & Shiraz cabernet - red
& a good few others..

Enjoy your day :)

I'd recommend justgrapes for some great French wines. No association, just a happy customer. PM me and I'll send you the details

We were advised to allow 2 bottles per person. I'd go 2-1 red to white ratio.
2 bottles per person thats a lot of wine. We were thinking half bottle per person and a few reserves just in case.
What do posters think of a €15 corkage charge by the hotel. I was very surprised that it is so expensive.

Back