Windsurfing Dublin - Surfdock or Malahide

elainem

Hi! Just wondering if anyone has any experience of surfing in these two areas - Surfdock is in Grand Canal Dock and then there is also surfing for kids in Malahide. I am really ignorant on this matter as we have only surfed down the country - would Grand Canal Dock be very dirty for surfing? They run watersports/surf camps for children in the summer. Surfdock is slightly nearer to us. Would anyone have a particular recommendation for these two, either Malahide or Grand Canal Dock for windsurfing for kids?

I've used Malahide a couple of times for lessons and have no problem recommending them.

Never used SurfDock. I assume the Viking Splash bus driving past a couple of times a day would be a nuisance for kids learning to control a sailboard ?

I've used Malahide a couple of times for lessons and have no problem recommending them.

Never used SurfDock. I assume the Viking Splash bus driving past a couple of times a day would be a nuisance for kids learning to control a sailboard ?

I did a corporate evening in SurfDock a couple of years back. The canal basin there is big enough, the Viking Splash tours won't bother you.

Only thing I'd say is it's quite sheltered in there, so there may not be a lot of wind. So might be fine for the first couple of lessons, but once they develop their skills, they'll need somewhere more exposed.

Windsurfing Malahide or Surdkock

Hi! Thanks to both of you for your replies. Leo, I'm glad to know the Viking Splash won't impact on the windsurfing. The summer camp also includes padldle boarding. I was a bit worried about water quality in the area but Surfdock assure me it was tested once a month, and they also tested it - they're only beginning, so I think I will go with Surfdock as it's so close to us.

Windsurfing

Tafthead, that's good to know. I presumed the water would be better quality out in Maladhide, and was feeling a bit guilty that I wasn't driving the kids out there for surfing.

Back