Windows XP wont shutdown

S

stobear

My Home PC doesn't shutdown consistently. I have followed the troublershooter guide (msconfig, disabling options etc), it then occasionlly shutdown but reverted back its original problem. Googled it and got buried in 10's of solutions, from driver re-install, mouse drivers, monitor drives, modem drives, the lot, but very little concise info on what the problem is. Anyone experience this before and more focused approach?

Sounds familiar.
Usually happens to me when the PC (2-year old DELL) has been left powered on for a couple of dayS - it just freezes at the 'shutting down Windows' screen.

My response is to unplug the tower, wait a minute and then fire it up again. Also to nag the others about shutting it down when they're finished using it.

I've noticed some PCs/laptops freezing up when the power saving options are configured in certain ways. Perhaps check/tweak these in the Control Panel to see if they might be contributing to the situation?

Clubman, the PC doesn't power down completely every time. I was tweaking the settings a bit and managed to get it powered off last night. Also tried to narrow down the things to try, from BIOS check, to USB driver conflict, to device management from the web today, so will try again tonight. Nothing new was added but I think the auto Windows update might have been active, I don't trust this. Also left a USB cable for digital camera hanging out the back so maybe this is isn't helping.

Any further suggestions welcome!

I was tweaking the settings ...

What settings?

Nothing new was added but I think the auto Windows update might have been active, I don't trust this

In my experience you are better off enabling Windows Update notification and perhaps download but disabling the automatic installation of updates and instead review each of them manually before application. I have seen Windows Update choose the wrong drivers for devices and cause things to stop working (hard to know if this is the fault of Windows Update or the device or device driver manufacturer - e.g. dodgy PCI configuration/identification settings etc.).

Also left a USB cable for digital camera hanging out the back so maybe this is isn't helping.

It might be an idea to gracefully (e.g. using the Unplug or Eject Hardware utility in the system tray) disconnect all external hardware (including PC/CardBus cards) and see if this makes any difference when shutting down.

Any further suggestions welcome!

Anything untoward reported in the ?

Back