Windows Media Player Not working

Logo

I'm trying to play a video but getting the following message "Windows Media Player can't play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file". The video played for me last week without a problem. Any ideas? Thanks

Logo - how are you opening the video ? double click on the file or starting windows media player and clicking on file -> open?

Have you had a windows update since the last time it played? If you haven't rebooted the machine in a few days, try that & see will it make a difference. I find media player finicky at times, all ok one day, next day - issues.

Thanks Jazz. Am just clicking on the file to open (as I did last week). Think there was an update since last week but I also tried restore function without any luck.

Have you tried a reboot? If not, try that.

The file association by windows media player might be changed / updated since the windows update. Try opening windows media player & then the file -> open

ok - been a while since I opened Windows media player :oops:- no "file / open"... try a drag / drop into the media player window.

Tried the file-open but didn't get an option. Not sure how to drag & drop to media player. Also tried loading latest Player Media. Anyone else notice a change on playing stored files?

Thanks for help. Just to help anyone else with the same issue - right click on any file and choose open with VLC.

VLC really is an essential tool on any PC, love it! Note it doesn’t come pre-installed, but is a free download!

This page, among lots of others in internet-land, shows how to set default applications and file associations system-wide. VLC is a very handy little tool, I use it in macOS.

Back