Windows and HRV

Marto

We are hoping to put a HRV system into a new build, and when we mentioned this to one window company, their sales agent made the point that we could significantly reduce the cost of our windows by eliminating some of their openings - we have openings in all our windows and some rooms might have as many as 4 windows - as a HRV system operates best in an air tight room .

I think that this makes sense but can anyone see any disadvantage to not having an opening in all windows in a room?

We think that me might leave 1/2 openings in each room for circulation purposes but would people think that this sufficient?

Fire escape
Feeling of freedom, it would be like a prison without it
Shouting out the window

The big one is a fire escape IMO, I am putting HRV in as well and was told the same by the salesman about the windows. In the end went with opening windows but no vents built in. Oh and we didnt use that company as found a cheaper supplier.

Talk to the HRV supplier/fitter - they should know best. You shouldn't need to open windows for circulation - that's the whole point of HRV - it circulates fresh, filtered air into each room and in the summer many systems should also cool it if needed. Opening windows just defeats the point of having HRV.

Back